G1027

Good Afternoon,

I am new to this forum and I thought I may use the fossil ID service. I had a trip to the Jurassic Coast at Lyme Regis, England just after a storm and I snorkeled the coast as there always a wealth of fossils just out of reach under the waves. I found this strange item and had it ID'd locally as a possible Ichthyosaur paddle bone but I am unsure and think it may be just a geological formation. Marine worms have been making it their home and burrowing in which I haven't removed the remnants yet. The scale on the measure is in cm. Any second opinions are most welcome.

Dan

1 (2).jpg

2 (2).jpg

3 (2).jpg

4 (2).jpg

5 (2).jpg

6 (2).jpg

@LiamL is probably more familiar with this type of fossil from the Jurassic Coast. Let's see what he thinks.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Welcome to the forum!

• I found this Informative 1

I’m not getting a paddle bone vibe here. They’re the same thickness pretty much and a sort of oval shape.  Could be a worn bone from the shoulder maybe humerus. Here’s a part of my collection which has now expanded quite a bit. 

There's a nice tube worm colony. I suggest to leave it as is. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think it looks like bone from the pictures provided. Usually you can see an obvious honey comb structure.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

22 minutes ago, LiamL said:

I don't think it looks like bone from the pictures provided. Usually you can see an obvious honey comb structure.

Unless it’s perfect of course which this isn’t if it were ichthy

I've never seen tube worms settled on fossil bone.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library