Odd protruberance on Pennsylvanian Sponge(?)

BobWill

I found this twiggy fossil at the Lost Creek Dam site in Jacksboro Texas. It's the Finis Shale Member of the Graham Formation, Upper Pennsylvanian. I thought it might be a Fissispongia jacksboroensis but now I'm wondering if that is right. The two branch-like protuberances  have some wavy striations on them I haven't seen before. Any ideas?

5c6f00046837f_twiggys001.jpg.6f5c9ebfc90ebb54f13bc257b9affd52.jpg

5c6f00582545f_twiggys007.jpg.2c94bb0a000ffc69ad1e9dfc4a98c00a.jpg

5c6f001c01b5f_twiggys003.jpg.e0762c6ade0ebe48ef0a563acd63f00f.jpg

5c6f00300e39b_twiggys005.jpg.95c3f555dbb98aea8b8a08e3bc8efe4f.jpg

5c6f0040c94a8_twiggys006.jpg.748bbd8ca3a4edd07148276e8a15cadd.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Other sponges ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I just got this reply from Dr. Ben Neuman, Chair of Biological Sciences at Texas A&M Texarcana.

"From the size and the way it looks, it's most likely a bryozoan holdfast - something like a Rhombocladia or Pinnatopora maybe, both of which I have seen at that site.  Not sure what their bases look like.  I think the way to investigate is just to polish off the very tips of the stripey thing - see if they are made of little tabulate chambers like a bryozoan."

I will try to polish the ends to see it I can tell something.

• I found this Informative 4

Polishing the end did not expose anything useful but I realized that there are two and a possible third branch, all in a row.  Looking through Index Fossils of North America at some bryozoans with fenestrate architecture I found  an older species, Fenestrellina stellata, described as having "pecular channeling of branches and dissepiments [cross bars]" so I think Dr. Neuman may be on the right track.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Gorgonians have very similar holdfasts.

Great! I'll just label it "Coral, Sponge or Bryozoan" and let the observer choose :)

I'm afraid I know very little about all of them so my question may not make sense but can a coral have two holdfasts beside each other like this, or do you think the branches with the wavy grooves are where two corals attached to whatever this stick is?

• I found this Informative 2

49 minutes ago, BobWill said:

'm afraid I know very little about all of them so my question may not make sense but can a coral have two holdfasts beside each other like this, or do you think the branches with the wavy grooves are where two corals attached to whatever this stick is?

I think it can be more than one individual or a single one that branched. This thread has nice photos of modern soft corals with grooved bases.http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81182-what-is-this/

My first thought, seeing those special details, was holdfast. I agree that the gorgonian coral holdfast(s) might be a possibility, but what is bothering me, is that I don't know if they were present in the Carboniferous. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, BobWill said:

Polishing the end did not expose anything useful but I realized that there are two and a possible third branch, all in a row.

Can we have some images of the polished ends, Bob?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

37 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Can we have some images of the polished ends, Bob?

I'm afraid this is all I could manage to expose with some 400 grit sandpaper. I don't know what else I should use.

WIN_20190222_18_56_02_Pro.jpg.5251340b160f5e36cf01c1c25eda187a.jpg

600 & 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper may expose more, simply by smoothing the scratches away. I hand sand rocks & amber & generally end up going as high as a 14,000 grit equivalent bonded sanding sheet, but 600 followed by 1000 should do the trick for "cleaning a window" so to speak.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Here’s a photo of a Paleozoic bryozoan holdfast and the publication that it was published in. You might send your photos to one of the authors, they might respond and send you in the right direction.

3EF16120-A4C5-4163-ADA5-25C3B8998A6C.jpeg

6323CE60-0642-457B-8760-21D702702E19.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

18 hours ago, BobWill said:

I'm afraid this is all I could manage to expose with some 400 grit sandpaper. I don't know what else I should use.

Thank you for the picture, Bob. I'm late as always. Eric has posted what I want to post yesterday.
The reason why I asked for the polished transverse section was to see the concentric "rings", but I'm not sure I can see them in your specimen.

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like @Al Dente was on the right track with this fossil. A drawing on the cover of Fossil News The Journal of Avocational Paleontology Vol.21.4 - Winter 2018 shows an image that looks identical to this fossil. It's part of an article about the history of paleontological illustration and is described as an "Articulated coral extremely common in all exposures of the hills of Messina." Now if someone from Sicily can recognize which coral that drawing is depicting we'll have the answer.

1 hour ago, BobWill said:

It looks like @Al Dente was on the right track with this fossil. A drawing on the cover of Fossil News The Journal of Avocational Paleontology Vol.21.4 - Winter 2018 shows an image that looks identical to this fossil. It's part of an article about the history of paleontological illustration and is described as an "Articulated coral extremely common in all exposures of the hills of Messina." Now if someone from Sicily can recognize which coral that drawing is depicting we'll have the answer.

Do you have a picture of the drawing of the coral to post?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Do you have a picture of the drawing of the coral to post?

Sorry, I had to get my scanner working.

twig.thumb.jpg.a448816ae4bfc91ce7c969e4aa463a3a.jpg

9 hours ago, BobWill said:

The fossil bearing formations of that area of Sicily appear to be Tertiary or newer. If we could find out the species of the coral drawing which is from a 1600’s Italian paper, it might not be very helpful since your fossil is much older.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Sicily

Can anyone find the article that contained the drawing in order to find the species of the coral? See description from the Fossil News magazine.

“Cover: The Winter 2018 issue is a focus on paleontological illustration through the last three centuries. Pictured: “‘Articulated’ coral extremely common in all exposures of the hills of Messina” from La Vana Speculazione Disingannata dal Senso: Lettera Risponsiva Circa i Corpi Marini, Che Petrificati si Trouano in Varij Luoghi Terrestri (1670) by Agostino Scilla.”

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

33 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Can anyone find the article that contained the drawing in order to find the species of the coral? See description from the Fossil News magazine.

“Cover: The Winter 2018 issue is a focus on paleontological illustration through the last three centuries. Pictured: “‘Articulated’ coral extremely common in all exposures of the hills of Messina” from La Vana Speculazione Disingannata dal Senso: Lettera Risponsiva Circa i Corpi Marini, Che Petrificati si Trouano in Varij Luoghi Terrestri (1670) by Agostino Scilla.”

@BobWill
Not in English but:  https://archive.org/details/lavanaspeculazio00scil/page/n225

Hope this helps you guys.

Edited by CBchiefski
typo

See the description of the plate XXI. 

It does not list species since it predates Linnaeus’ binomial Latin species names. I think that I see that it is an articulated coral from the hills of Messina. Anyone able to translate it better?C581440E-0479-4453-AF0B-6EA9D208EC25.jpeg.ae0d805a394abb8719f756a9d243b3ef.jpeg

Since the publication is that old and the strata is that young it's unlikely this will help us outside of placing this in the right phylum, maybe class. That is a good start just being able to rule out sponge and bryozoa :)