Sign in to follow this  
BobWill

Odd protruberance on Pennsylvanian Sponge(?)

BobWill

I found this twiggy fossil at the Lost Creek Dam site in Jacksboro Texas. It's the Finis Shale Member of the Graham Formation, Upper Pennsylvanian. I thought it might be a Fissispongia jacksboroensis but now I'm wondering if that is right. The two branch-like protuberances  have some wavy striations on them I haven't seen before. Any ideas?

5c6f00046837f_twiggys001.jpg.6f5c9ebfc90ebb54f13bc257b9affd52.jpg

5c6f00582545f_twiggys007.jpg.2c94bb0a000ffc69ad1e9dfc4a98c00a.jpg

5c6f001c01b5f_twiggys003.jpg.e0762c6ade0ebe48ef0a563acd63f00f.jpg

5c6f00300e39b_twiggys005.jpg.95c3f555dbb98aea8b8a08e3bc8efe4f.jpg

5c6f0040c94a8_twiggys006.jpg.748bbd8ca3a4edd07148276e8a15cadd.jpg

fifbrindacier

Other sponges ?

BobWill

Polishing the end did not expose anything useful but I realized that there are two and a possible third branch, all in a row.  Looking through Index Fossils of North America at some bryozoans with fenestrate architecture I found  an older species, Fenestrellina stellata, described as having "pecular channeling of branches and dissepiments [cross bars]" so I think Dr. Neuman may be on the right track.

Archie

Sorry cant help with ID but it's very beautiful whatever it is! 

Al Dente

Gorgonians have very similar holdfasts.

BobWill
1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Gorgonians have very similar holdfasts.

Great! I'll just label it "Coral, Sponge or Bryozoan" and let the observer choose :)

I'm afraid I know very little about all of them so my question may not make sense but can a coral have two holdfasts beside each other like this, or do you think the branches with the wavy grooves are where two corals attached to whatever this stick is?

Al Dente
49 minutes ago, BobWill said:

'm afraid I know very little about all of them so my question may not make sense but can a coral have two holdfasts beside each other like this, or do you think the branches with the wavy grooves are where two corals attached to whatever this stick is?

I think it can be more than one individual or a single one that branched. This thread has nice photos of modern soft corals with grooved bases.http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/81182-what-is-this/

abyssunder

My first thought, seeing those special details, was holdfast. I agree that the gorgonian coral holdfast(s) might be a possibility, but what is bothering me, is that I don't know if they were present in the Carboniferous. :headscratch:

abyssunder
5 hours ago, BobWill said:

Polishing the end did not expose anything useful but I realized that there are two and a possible third branch, all in a row.

Can we have some images of the polished ends, Bob?

BobWill
37 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Can we have some images of the polished ends, Bob?

I'm afraid this is all I could manage to expose with some 400 grit sandpaper. I don't know what else I should use.

WIN_20190222_18_56_02_Pro.jpg.5251340b160f5e36cf01c1c25eda187a.jpg

daves64

600 & 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper may expose more, simply by smoothing the scratches away. I hand sand rocks & amber & generally end up going as high as a 14,000 grit equivalent bonded sanding sheet, but 600 followed by 1000 should do the trick for "cleaning a window" so to speak.

abyssunder
18 hours ago, BobWill said:

I'm afraid this is all I could manage to expose with some 400 grit sandpaper. I don't know what else I should use.

Thank you for the picture, Bob. I'm late as always. Eric has posted what I want to post yesterday.
The reason why I asked for the polished transverse section was to see the concentric "rings", but I'm not sure I can see them in your specimen.