Dinosaur/reptile neural spine

Pterygotus

I recently saw this dinosaur/reptile neural spine for sale. It is almost 5cm. Does anyone know if this could be a piece of a spinosaurus neural spine and if not then what it could be?

B92DF68E-B984-47EB-8A6C-134E6A8993CC.jpeg

C35E8617-6DF3-4004-A3B9-71A014145C87.jpeg

As Troodon said, this is a chevron from a tail. It's upside down in the photos.

Isolated bones like this are hard to identify. But there are a few differences between chevrons from different animals.Some have the top open, and some have it fused in the middle like this one seems to have.

Here are a few examples of Baryonyx. Also has a fused top. The shape is mostly similar. So I wouldn't rule out Spinosaurid chevron at this point. But as also as Troodon said, it's better to label it indeterminate chevron for now at least.

010028394_L010093268-S.thumb.jpg.542c7ca4cb857005ba172783bfcfe04f.jpg

It's a rather nice piece though.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Isolated bones like this are hard to identify. But there are a few differences between chevrons from different animals.Some have the top open, and some have it fused in the middle like this one seems to have.

Here are a few examples of Baryonyx. Also has a fused top. The shape is mostly similar. So I wouldn't rule out Spinosaurid chevron at this point. But as also as Troodon said, it's better to label it indeterminate chevron for now at least.

Sorry about this amateur question but could someone point out the chevron on a spinosaurid tail?

3 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Sorry about this amateur quesion but could someone’s point out the chevron in a spinosaurus skeleton?

Chevrons are the bones under the tail vertebra. Some are circled but there are more chevrons in the tail.

image.png.4d716e8dbba6d73bca371fc812238e5a.png

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Do these belong to you?

Are chevrons rare because I haven’t seen many for sale before? Or is this just because people don’t want these sorts of bones as much as teeth or claws?

20 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Do these belong to you?

These are part of the most complete Baryonyx skeleton found so far. It was found in 1983 in Surrey. It's part of the collection of the  Natural History Museum in London. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

Are chevrons rare because I haven’t seen many for sale before? Or is this just because people don’t want these sorts of bones as much as teeth or claws?

Definitely not something collectors seek out.  Teeth, claws and vertebrae are on top of the list.   On the other side you don't see many come out of these deposit not sure why there are plenty on a dinosaur

Here is what they look like on a hadrosaur

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.070422a33a3c8c494a75a7e61e04020a.JPG

A little different shape on some Theropods this is a Struthiomimus

IMG_0715.thumb.JPG.112b9190b7593d7ee9f2621806628f3c.JPG

1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

Do these belong to you?

Hah! I wish. :ighappy:

No, as gigantoraptor already pointed out, these belong to the Natural History Museum in London. It's part of the holotype specimen.

I took a look at the reconstruction and only a few partial chervons were included "red" the "blue" are all inferred bones so we know very little about them other than comparisons to other related species like barynoyx

Screenshot_2019-02-22-15-41-06.thumb.jpg.0a7851f72ce996e0d817526668be3685.jpg

Probably a theropod. But other than that it's hard to tell. As I said, Spinosaurid could be a possibility, but there isn't a lot of reference material to use.

I have one that's nearly the same. So I will likely do more research on it. But for now I'm labeling it Theropoda indet.

Most of the bone material that is found and sold belongs to Theropods with occasional Sauropod material so like LT indicated good chance its Theropod.   We just don't have associated skeletal material to compare against.  Just need more new discoveries.

@LordTrilobite I have one from the Hell Creek that has a striking resemblance to this one, belongs to a Thescelosaurus but still agree it probably Theropod