Pachypleurosaurus Edwardsi Italy

CharlotteG

I recently purchased an old collection, init there was this piece determined as a pachypleurosaurus edwardi, trias, Monte San Georgis, Besano-Tesino, Italy. Is this a replica or the real thing? The fossil seems to be pasted on to some wood for stability...

19146FE6-BC94-4163-9840-0C09436B8FF2.jpeg

4BB57C95-B0D4-44F4-B8B3-864757A399AC.jpeg

F6C37F74-DB33-44B0-AF86-542492F6FDE2.jpeg

Unfortunately it indeed is a fake.  Lots of these type of recreations are being sold on auction sites.  Try returning it.

• I found this Informative 3

It's called Neusticosaurus edwardsii nowadays, Pachypleurosaurus is a nomen dubium. 

It looks like a replica to me.

• I found this Informative 2

Yes sadly it also looks a replica to me . If you have no luck sending it back, if you payed with paypal they can be very helpful. :(

How do you know it's a replica or fake? Why go through the trouble of stabilizing the matrix on a replica? I am no expert, but can see restored parts and epoxy on matrix back side for stabilization, to conclude that it's a replica imho better pic are needed, would love to learn how you know that for sure.

• I found this Informative 1

It’s from a very old collection, it states that the fossil was traded for a fossil bat with Romano Guerra in 1978, apparently he still has a website. I’m going to try and contact him in the hope that he still remembers.

I’ll also try to post some extra pictures soon 

Good point, probably overacted, fakes are a recent creation.  Can you take a close-up photo of the specimen so we can take a better look.

What's the size of this piece? The adult size of Neusticosaurus edwardsii was up to 120 cm. This piece seems to be a whole lot smaller, more like Neusticosaurus pusillus: (between 40 cm and 52 cm) or Neusticosaurus peyeri (between 45 cm and55 cm) or Neusticosaurus toeplitschi (between 30 and 40 cm).

The new pictures make it look more real. I think I see teeth in the jaws.

Could you do a vertebra count? The cervical vertebrae vary from species to species.

1 minute ago, CharlotteG said:

It’s from a very old collection, it states that the fossil was traded for a fossil bat with Romano Guerra in 1978, apparently he still has a website. I’m going to try and contact him in the hope that he still remembers.

I’ll also try to post some extra pictures soon 

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be real with some restored parts (also on matrix), looks real to me from these pics. Back side is strengthened with some sort of epoxy, prep work is not best, but can see it was puzzled together, preped with engraver or scribes or with dental picks and you can see glue leftovers and where matrix pieces, missing, were reconstructed. 

• I found this Informative 2

Real, may be some paint, but that's all.

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

This has too much nuanced details to be fake imo. The closeups also look more real than replica.

So yeah I vote real as well.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

23 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

What's the size of this piece? The adult size of Neusticosaurus edwardsii was up to 120 cm. This piece seems to be a whole lot smaller, more like Neusticosaurus pusillus: (between 40 cm and 52 cm) or Neusticosaurus peyeri (between 45 cm and55 cm) or Neusticosaurus toeplitschi (between 30 and 40 cm).

The new pictures make it look more real. I think I see teeth in the jaws.

Could you do a vertebra count? The cervical vertebrae vary from species to species.

It has about 74 verts and measures about 27 cm. Hope this helps, I am now considering keeping it so a correct determination would be great ^^

Could display a lot nicer imo, if you have it pro-reprepped (only needs a bit of careful outlining and some aesthetic work on matrix). 

On 24/2/2019 at 11:33 AM, CharlotteG said:

It has about 74 verts and measures about 27 cm. Hope this helps, I am now considering keeping it so a correct determination would be great ^^

From the number of vertebrae you counted I think it's N. peyeri. N. pusillus has a far bigger number of vertebrae (around 100) while N. peyeri has around 77.

If you only consider the number of vertebrae it also could be N. toeplitschi but that species is only described in the eastern alps, not in Monte San Giorgio.

2 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

From the number of vertebrae you counted I think it's N. peyeri. N. pusillus has a far bigger number of vertebrae (around 100) while N. peyeri has around 77.

If you only consider the number of vertebrae it also could be N. toeplitschi but that species is only described in the eastern alps, not in Monte San Giorgio.

Yup, that's true:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326834935_The_marine_reptile_Neusticosaurus_from_the_Eastern_Alps

Most parts original IMO, but very bad prep-job...:(