How do i free Ammonites or fossils from the rock? Tool advice.

Fossilywend

Help please. Complete beginner, first time hunting for fossils in Yorkshire, England (kettleness) 

I have no tools, just my hands and eyes at the minute

Ive found a few ammonites which I would like to free. Thus far Ive watched youtube videos and googled only; they make it look so easy with just a hammer. My first attempt I broke the end off my ammonite and now afraid to try again. Please advise for tools and extraction methods? Also, how do I care for them once they are freed? many thanks!

52877834_969436653255763_3530289643582914560_n.jpg

Topic moved to Fossil Preparation.

For now, have a look through some of the threads in this sub-forum for some advice, and in particular affordable hand tools for preparation (pin vise, dental picks, etc.). :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Easiest way is to place a chisel at the side of where the keel is poking out and hit it with a hammer and it could split the middle matrix off revealing the centre. 

I break so many, probably 2/10 split nice the others don't split well. So it's a gamble.

Or you could sent them to a professional prepper to use air tools.

• I found this Informative 2

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

My advice is the same for all new collectors. Don’t start prepping your fossils until you have collected enough that you’re ok ruining some. It’s inevitable, you are going to ruin several learning to prep.

I started prepping with a small hammer and a large drywall screw. That will get you started cheap. The screw acts as a small chisel to pop small pieces of matrix away.

Beware of fossil prepping though. It will suck you in and you will never get away from it. :P I don’t even collect fossils much anymore. I just prep all the time. It saves money on fuel. :D

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, LiamL said:

Easiest way is to place a chisel at the side of where the keel is poking out and hit it with a hammer and it could split the middle matrix off revealing the centre. 

I break so many, probably 2/10 split nice the others don't split well. So it's a gamble.

Or you could sent them to a professional prepper to use air tools.

Ive got some tiny chisels so Ill give it a shot :) 

4 hours ago, RJB said:

An air scribe such as the ME9100 or equivilent would be perfect for prepping these.   Good luck

RB

OOh, that seems really advanced but I'm excited and really getting into this. That may be on my christmas list!

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My advice is the same for all new collectors. Don’t start prepping your fossils until you have collected enough that you’re ok ruining some. It’s inevitable, you are going to ruin several learning to prep.

I started prepping with a small hammer and a large drywall screw. That will get you started cheap. The screw acts as a small chisel to pop small pieces of matrix away.

Beware of fossil prepping though. It will suck you in and you will never get away from it. :P I don’t even collect fossils much anymore. I just prep all the time. It saves money on fuel. :D

Thanks, this made me feel better, I was a bit devastated that i chipped the end off one. But this can be my practice one now. I could get into the prepping for sure haha. Thanks loads for the reply :)