daves64

I recently got an "enhanced grab bag" of fossil matrix. The matrix is from NC, the enhanced portion is shark teeth added in from SC & FL. This large chunk of something was in with it. At first I thought a nice big bone piece, after cleaning it up, not sure if it's bone or some sort of mineral deposit. Pics 1 $ 2 are of the sides, 3 is the narrow "top" & 4 is the split bottom section. The remaining pics will follow. It was just under 17 cm long until I cut about 2 cm or so off the narrow end, 3.5 cm wide & 4.5 cm thick. In the split section & 1 end there are several small crystals embedded in the openings. Red, green, yellow, clear. I can take pics of some of them if needed.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Pics 5 & 6 are the ends. 5 is where I cut & sanded it to try to get a better idea of what I have. 6 shows some of the crystals. 7 is a close up of the split area & 8 is a close up of the outside.

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The 50, 100 & 200x labeled pics are from the same spot on one of the pieces that broke off while cutting, making it a fresh break. The 200x 2 & 200x 3 are from slightly different spots on the same piece

50x.jpg

100x.jpg

200x 1.jpg

200x 3.jpg

200x 2.jpg

A piece of volcanic rock with micro geodes.

If You can get some close up shots of the "geodes" it may be possible to make some IDd of the crystals.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

75x shots with the Dinolite of some of the crystals. @ynot

A075 - 20190223_074732.jpg

A076 - 20190223_074824.jpg

A078 - 20190223_074919.jpg

A079 - 20190223_074949.jpg

A083 - 20190223_075317.jpg

Part 2 The last 2 pics are of the broken end (#6) of previous post.

A084 - 20190223_075346.jpg

A085 - 20190223_075402.jpg

A086 - 20190223_075429.jpg

A088 - 20190223_075653.jpg

A090 - 20190223_075822.jpg

A091 - 20190223_075929.jpg

Found this on the web. Polished volcanic rock with Peridot, maybe that's the green. The rock itself looks like the sanded/polished end of mine.

9Vp1NQS.jpg

Got one of the clear crystals out of the end & put a drop of vinegar on it. It didn't seem to notice it at all... 0 reaction. So I'm thinking quartz on those.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Got one of the clear crystals out of the end & put a drop of vinegar on it. It didn't seem to notice it at all... 0 reaction. So I'm thinking quartz on those.

Quartz is likely.

Forgot to mention that some of the "mineral" pieces look like sand grains.

My identification is on the areas with concentric lines in this picture....

200x 3.jpg

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Highest magnification I can manage with the Dinolite.. 225x Very touchy focus at that point. Some of the grains looks like pyrite, one area has a rainbow effect, one shot of some other grains & the last pic actually looks a lot like a close up of cloudy amber, which is odd. These are all from piece's I cut off, completely raw, no sanding. All but the last are from the broken part, the last pic is an area that I cut. I cut the thing with a hobby hacksaw (a bit of work). :wacko:

A090 - 20190223_101432.jpg

A091 - 20190223_101507.jpg

A092 - 20190223_101535.jpg

A093 - 20190223_101636.jpg

A094 - 20190223_102103.jpg

A095 - 20190223_102403.jpg

The cell structure is bone.  Size and shape suggest a Mosasaur splenial but it is anyone's guess.  Without knowing the location and age, it has very little scientific value, but could make some nice jewelry..  

I've sent a message to the seller requesting location & age info. 

You have excellent images of permineralization.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

47 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

You have excellent images of permineralization.

I'll calmly & with maturity take that as a compliment. :raindance::megdance:

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Red pieces are probably garnets.

Clear yellowish are maybe calcite (could be quartz).

No idea on the green.

The green has the look of Olivine....and I want that picture taking setup. Awesome!

4 minutes ago, Kato said:

The green has the look of Olivine....and I want that picture taking setup. Awesome!

The closeup pics were taken with a Dino-Lite Edge digital microscope Model # AM4515ZT

Heard back from the seller. I sent a pic of the bone with the email.

"The bone in the picture you have below is most likely part of a whale rib bone. I fossil hunt in North Carolina, so the bone is likely Miocene or Pliocene in age.  The whale bone I collect comes from a creek in Greenville, North Carolina"

So, does that clear things up a bit? :D

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

Heard back from the seller. I sent a pic of the bone with the email.

"The bone in the picture you have below is most likely part of a whale rib bone. I fossil hunt in North Carolina, so the bone is likely Miocene or Pliocene in age.  The whale bone I collect comes from a creek in Greenville, North Carolina"

So, does that clear things up a bit? :D

That makes sense to me, I went fossil hunting there back in 2017 and found a ton of whale bone similar to yours. 

Here's what I found after scouting out an entry point to the creek before I even got the sieves out from the truck.

IMG_1905.thumb.JPG.fe07bbefde50ae72ed107c75e89cd671.JPG

17 hours ago, Kato said:

Olivine is a very high pressure, high temperature mineral usually in ultramafic lavas from the mantle. If this is olivine, then the piece has to be some kind of lava. In that case, I’d say vesicular lava like this

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vesicular+lava&t=iphone&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fd%2Fd6%2FVessicularBasalt1.JPG

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

37 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Olivine is a very high pressure, high temperature mineral usually in ultramafic lavas from the mantle.

I’m pretty sure the green sand is glauconite. There’s a lot of glauconite and garnet sand in the creek.