theropod teeth kem kem

palochris68

Hello !

I received 2 dinosaur teeth, from Kem Kem (cenomanian or albian).

We can not accurately identify the species (if it is possible to identify them?). We think of a species of Abelisauridae, or maybe Dromaeosaurid (Deltadromeus agili?) (For the smallest)?

Ideas?

Teeth one (smallest):

dent1a.thumb.JPG.c7b898e7e4ba011abc0c0f7022eb9ac3.JPG

dent1b.thumb.JPG.f2440ee6e35ae64b806c652c7c32b621.JPG

Second teeth :

dent2a.thumb.JPG.70a49a8db87c3e1349660a67d8b06aea.JPG

dent2b.thumb.JPG.a9dc6a8fba29fd1906393ff6b076d72f.JPG

First tooth seems to be from an Abelisaurid indet. There seem to be at least two species present and none are described. There is at least one Dromaeosaurid present but not described. This tooth isn't one because the serrations seems to be the same size on both sides while the denticles on the posterior side are bigger by Dromaeosaurids. There also isn't a lingual twist.

I'm not sure on the second one but lean toward Carchardontosaurid. It's either Sauroniops pachytholus or Carcharodontosaurus saharicus. Teeth can't be id further than Carcharodontosaurid indet. 

Could you ask for a denticle density on both sides of the tooth?

The Kem Kem beds are Cenomanian in age.

• I found this Informative 2

Agreed on both counts and would also lean towards a Carcharodontosaurid but could be one if those indeterminate ones.  Like to see a close-up of the serrations

Currently no teeth from the Kem Kem can be assigned to any genus/species there just too little we understand from this fauna the best we can do is at a family level.

BTW Deltadromeus is not a Dromaeosaurid  but possibly a Noasaurid.

• I found this Informative 3

Also, nobody knows what a Deltadromeus agilis tooth looks like. The holotype didn't contain a skull and no other specimens have been found.

Some People think D. agilis was a herbivore related to the Chinese Limusaurus inextricabilis 

• I found this Informative 1

The latest idea was that Deltadromeus was a Neovenatorid. But yes, Noasaurid has also been suggested before. Some bones found in the area do seem to possibly suggest that there were Noasaurids in the area.

No Deltadromeus skull has been found so far though so no teeth can be assigned to it.

Your first tooth looks like Abelisaurid with the distinctive straight edge on the back.

The second does look like it might be Carcharodontosaurid. Or else it's Theropoda indet.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

First a big thank you for your opinion and analysis! Thank you so much !
I did a close-up of serration of the tooth n °2 if it can help you or bring a more (I can not closer)

IMG_2139.JPG.5d37489d92b085e7fb8e95e8e2af9b22.JPG

IMG_2147.thumb.JPG.fed4b3aece3315e7bfa17e73306b8d68.JPG

Could you ask for a denticle density on both sides of the tooth?

Do you mean counting the number of serrations on each side?

So to summarize:

tooth 1: Abelisaurid indet (no described species)
tooth 2: possibly Carchardontosaurid