Mid-winter plants

Kasia

Last week I went to Silesia region, which is famous for coal mines - and of course heaps of coal to go through. First I went to Knurów, which has an active mine - but they let hunters browse the fresh output :)

image.png.16d4a47f63866575e9894370dac3bfe5.png

image.png.3f41c380cca3aac7f0efef41d51e9e82.png

Here are some of the finds:

image.png.b834ce85104127db304170252d43b87f.png

• I found this Informative 6

The second location was an old heap, which however is still burning

image.png.e57a5fff77f70d82f379dfbad51db532.png

image.png.1f2fefd1425794eba36e61365963fe88.png

and that is why some of the fossils look as if they were "burned" and have got a completely different specific red colour:

image.png.0c9d02aba490ce77ee25ad5af4c4bed2.png

image.png.ea0ecda2833a317bdddc41a831c24d7e.png

• I found this Informative 6

Very nice that the mining company does not object to fossil hunters grabbing some delightful fossils. Let's hope the fossil hunters behave themselves and that this cooperation continues into the future so we can see further great Carboniferous plant fossils from this area.

Cheers.

-Ken

16 minutes ago, digit said:

Very nice that the mining company does not object to fossil hunters grabbing some delightful fossils. Let's hope the fossil hunters behave themselves and that this cooperation continues into the future so we can see further great Carboniferous plant fossils from this area.

Cheers.

-Ken

I behaved myself :)  - I was only a bit greedy, because I brought home around 70 kg of fossils .... I couldn't resist....

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow nice finds :wub: I also liked your   atmospheric location pictures. 

Thanks - I was really lucky with weather, it really felt like spring :)

1 minute ago, nala said:

Nice report,thanks for sharing :)seems you have nice carboniferous sites in Poland!

Thanks :) I have always been envious of your beautiful finds, so I decided to go all the way to the south, but my fossils do not measure up to your recent find - the cone cross-section is amazing! :envy:

It only took me more than ten years to find one sample,but it's always fascinating to split a carboniferous rock for me and find new imprints,ask me if you need few ID!

2 hours ago, Kasia said:

I behaved myself :)  - I was only a bit greedy, because I brought home around 70 kg of fossils .... I couldn't resist....

70 kg, wow! That is a sizeable haul.Thank you for sharing, lovely fossils and a very dramatic landscape. 

@Kasia     Very nice fossils. I wish more members would post pictures of plants. One question for you. I found the coal mines you hunted on Google Earth. I then looked around the area and saw  a woods just north of Gliwice that appeared to have "crop circles " in the forest. Any idea what I am seeing????

Mike

15 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Kasia     Very nice fossils. I wish more members would post pictures of plants. One question for you. I found the coal mines you hunted on Google Earth. I then looked around the area and saw  a woods just north of Gliwice that appeared to have "crop circles " in the forest. Any idea what I am seeing????

Mike

This piqued my interest so I took a look at a map of the area.  It appears to be Las Łabędzki which is a National Forest.  From people's reviews on Google it seems like it used to be a tank testing grounds and it might be closed to the public.  

@Kasia

Nice plant finds.  There are some sites a few hours north of me I'd like to check out in the near future, I've only been saying that for a few years. :wacko: