Yet Another Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

8 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Other than green river fish I have never prepped a vertebrate and I have never found a vertebrate of any kind. Just live in an area that the glaciers scoured clean... but we sure have access to the Ordovician , Silurian and Devonian within driving distance. Actually that is a white lie I did find one tooth and some placaderm armour at Arkona years ago.

That’s how it was when I lived in Minnesota as a kid. We had to drive to get to any fossils. We are lucky here in Texas. We can fall over any number of fossil bearing formations just by going outside for the most part. :D

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

This sure is time consuming, but that allows me to consume a lot of :popcorn:

It sure is. I can plow through the matrix until I get to within about 1mm of the bone. Then it comes off very slowly.

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It sure is. I can plow through the matrix until I get to within about 1mm of the bone. Then it comes off very slowly.

I feel your pain... I'm currently in the same boat. Sticky, hard matrix while flying half-blind is the absolute best -- said no preparator ever. :( For what it's worth, hopefully us cheering you on makes those really frustrating moments easier to get through. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I feel your pain... I'm currently in the same boat. Sticky, hard matrix while flying half-blind is the absolute best -- said no preparator ever. :( For what it's worth, hopefully us cheering you on makes those really frustrating moments easier to get through. :) 

I think one must be slightly masochistic to be a preparator. :P

I have to admit, the frustrating parts of the prep are easier when not alone in one’s anguish. I’m taking a break from prepping this morning to build a planter box for my wife. Then I’m back to it.

Oh, BTW the first peppers went in the garden yesterday, jalapeño and cayenne. My wife is on the quest for reapers and ghosts this weekend.

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have to admit, the frustrating parts of the prep are easier when not alone in one’s anguish. I’m taking a break from prepping this morning to build a planter box for my wife. Then I’m back to it.

Pictures?  I’ve been doing the same thing for my wife this weekend.

23 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

EE0EE599-F2A2-445D-93A7-A4B40175EAD3.thumb.jpeg.8a4ec236d6c62a4b05407de6ed41bd34.jpeg

That looks great!  Here is mine, upside down with wire mesh attached to keep gophers out.  In the background is one I did a couple weeks ago.

6E06AC56-6418-41B8-A868-48AAD8B09E0F.thumb.jpeg.c4dcbe8893cfa44ae3d1cb896453b50f.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

That looks great!  Here is mine, upside down with wire mesh attached to keep gophers out.  In the background is one I did a couple weeks ago.

Very nice. We don’t have gophers here but the rabbits are a nightmare. I put chicken wire around my leafy plants to keep the little devils out.

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

Discussing prepping, preparators, and peppers all in the same thread gets confusing:headscratch:

:ninja: That’s to keep the part time readers guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

All right. The concussion headaches seem to have stopped so, I’m back on the scribes.

Today, I started on the right side of the skull.

C3E26E4E-1124-429E-BA7F-7FDEBF610F8A.thumb.jpeg.6bd02b6f579b8ee853b52388aa0e5de8.jpeg

There’s more damage to the bone on this side but it’s not in terrible shape.

22 hours. The antorbital fenestra has some distortion and there’s a significant crack running just above the dorsal edge of it. This will require some significant stabilization and gluing to keep it together. Otherwise, the right side is coming along nicely.

ED61FFA2-2891-4ED4-8A95-583D8704612B.thumb.jpeg.a1bb53ff6c7694d4bb73d75ccd3332de.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Here it is after 27 hours of total prep.

3A215050-4BE4-482D-A187-F7AD0D7260DE.thumb.jpeg.c772b927935fb08adf22aaf4d4cb2349.jpeg

This side is more dorsoventrally compressed than I first thought. That’s actually a good thing because I thought none of the right orbit was preserved. I uncovered a small section of it today that was significantly more ventrally positioned than it should be.

Here’s a close up of the newly discovered orbit. I had originally thought the edge of the bone was simply a broken piece of the jugal until the matrix came off. I’m rather excited.

E4954992-C8C2-42A2-AA58-4CA9A0CC6026.thumb.jpeg.5694b54fe8b1b328515038ff2f96f053.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

On 3/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

6E06AC56-6418-41B8-A868-48AAD8B09E0F.thumb.jpeg.c4dcbe8893cfa44ae3d1cb896453b50f.jpeg

Planter?  Or shark tooth sifter in disguise?  You sneaky little devil!!!  B)

Don

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Planter?  Or shark tooth sifter in disguise?  You sneaky little devil!!!  B)

Don

You caught me!  Don’t tell my wife.

• Enjoyed 1

I hit the 30 hour mark today. The maxilla on this side is a mess. The bone is severely cracked and loose under the hard matrix, not a good combo. I spent a good bit of time scribing a small portion and then soaking the area with B-15 to lock everything together then repeating the process. I would move to the back of the skull while the acetone in the solution flashed off.

CE4B5680-B612-489B-BEA5-1B6E5607BCBB.thumb.jpeg.85b6d89cacbb8cb92002b5e6c4279640.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

11 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would move to the back of the skull while the acetone in the solution flashed off.

You will find that that acetone stuff will 'flash' off faster with a match.   :)

RB

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

You will find that that acetone stuff will 'flash' off faster with a match.   :)

RB

I don’t think that’s the best way to maintain my shop though. :P

• I found this Informative 1