Yet Another Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

21 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

I like the prep job and the fact that there is no restoration of the missing sections.

This is honest as most specimens do not come out of the ground and prep into pristine examples of of the now extinct animal.

The finder can always be hopeful of finding some of the missing sections but is usually not the case.

Have you thought of making a cast and adding the missing sections to that and displaying next to the original as I wish museums did.

:dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:

Mike 

Thanks. I also like the absence of all restoration on this piece. I’m not against restoration at all but this Alford give it a certain look.

We hadn’t thought any further than the prep. The owner is still trying to decide on a specific mount. That’s the next step.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow looking fantastic and quite incredible how far it has come from the beginning of this thread. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thats really quite the job my good sir!  Im going out on a limb here and will say, "your customer is going to be very happy".   Nice job man.  I like the stand too.

RB

39 minutes ago, RJB said:

Thats really quite the job my good sir!  Im going out on a limb here and will say, "your customer is going to be very happy".   Nice job man.  I like the stand too.

RB

Thanks. Everyone was quite pleased with how the prep turned out.

On 14/08/2019 at 1:48 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

mounted skull

Wow it turned out fantastic. :wub:

thank you for the enjoyable and educational thread. I was thinking you should do a before and after post to end your this thread.  It would inspire any members who have not seen this threads to start from page 1. Cheers Bobby 

40 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow it turned out fantastic. :wub:

thank you for the enjoyable and educational thread. I was thinking you should do a before and after post to end your this thread.  It would inspire any members who have not seen this threads to start from page 1. Cheers Bobby 

Your wish is my command. This is the before on February 25 2019

788DC503-9BCC-43BA-BA06-D08C900E1D97.thumb.jpeg.27aaea5b659b64c9f24aac96d882d3c7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

I have not been here for a while, but I have to say you did an incredible job! I am not yet familiar with prepping fossils since I can't afford the equipment but it looks like you devoted a lot of time and energy into this amazing piece.

Really cool

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Misha said:

I have not been here for a while, but I have to say you did an incredible job! I am not yet familiar with prepping fossils since I can't afford the equipment but it looks like you devoted a lot of time and energy into this amazing piece.

Really cool

Thanks. You can get started prepping without expensive tools. I started with a ball peen hammer and a 3” drywall screw. @RJB started with a steak knife. The expense tools make the process easier and faster (and they allow more difficult specimens to be prepped) but they aren’t required. I was prepping for 4 or 5 years before I got my first air scribe.

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks. You can get started prepping without expensive tools. I started with a ball peen hammer and a 3” drywall screw. @RJB started with a steak knife. The expense tools make the process easier and faster (and they allow more difficult specimens to be prepped) but they aren’t required. I was prepping for 4 or 5 years before I got my first air scribe.

I understand that, and I have started trying to prep some fossils with a small tungsten carbide scribe, here is one of the more successful attempts, I am happy with it, but I also wish I had an air abrasive unit to finish off the job.

Hopefully someday I will be able to buy one for myself :)

PicsArt_08-17-11.34.37.png

• 2 years later...