Yet Another Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

31 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

2 hours. :P

And then he'd revert to hammer and chisel? Or send it to you? :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

19 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would hate to pay for shipping on this beast!

Be a little cheaper after the matrix is gone. Unless you sent that too. :wacko:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Slow and steady wins the race so they say. This one is going to win for sure. I spent a couple more hours on this prep last night and while the matrix is coming off relatively easily, the heavily textured bone gives it a lot of surface area to hold onto. That makes for a slow prep in order to keep from inadvertently scribing through the taller bits of bone since one could measure the distance between stylus and bone in microns. It just needs a steady hand and a lot of patience. A good playlist helps too. Last night, I made it through Dolly Parton, Evanescence, Flyleaf, and Lauren Daigle. :D

1DE86A98-3A1A-4860-A56A-D31CF6E39A0D.thumb.jpeg.24f23e3944915cf83529b47cb88fbd7c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

good playlist helps too. Last night, I made it through Dolly Parton, Evanescence, Flyleaf, and Lauren Daigle. :D

1DE86A98-3A1A-4860-A56A-D31CF6E39A0D.thumb.jpeg.24f23e3944915cf83529b47cb88fbd7c.jpeg

If I should start on something like that with my needle I think even Spotify will not have enough music :) I can't wait to see it when you done.

8 minutes ago, rebu said:

If I should start on something like that with my needle I think even Spotify will not have enough music :) I can't wait to see it when you done.

This is definitely not for the faint of heart. :D

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Dolly Parton, Evanescence, Flyleaf, and Lauren Daigle. 

A part form the lovely Dolly I have known idea about the other musicians I will check them out. When I make my landscapes or seascape art works. I listen to instrumental music like Max Richter, Sigur Rós and the more rocky Godspeed You! Black Emperor . I think music is very good at concentrate the mind and helps me to focus on the work at hand but it has to be the right music for the job. 

This is very interesting job you have taken on . This thread is definitely worth watching . Cheers mate

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

A part form the lovely Dolly I have known idea about the other musicians I will check them out. When I make my landscapes or seascape art works. I listen to instrumental music like Max Richter, Sigur Rós and the more rocky Godspeed You! Black Emperor . I think music is very good at concentrate the mind and helps me to focus on the work at hand but it has to be the right music for the job. 

This is very interesting job you have taken on . This thread is definitely worth watching . Cheers mate

You’ve given me a few to check out as well! Thanks for the suggestion. Tonight’s work session was mostly accompanied by Jimmy Buffett but most of that time was spent in another project.

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

. My prepping music is pretty eclectic.

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Max Richter, Sigur Rós and the more rocky Godspeed You! Black Emperor .

I have no idea what either of you mean, other than Dolly. 

Whilst prepping, i usually listen to wifey yapping. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

34 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Whilst prepping, i usually listen to wifey yapping. 

You would be amazed how she will stay away from a prep lab with a roaring scribe, shop vac dust collector, and an air compressor running at the same time. :P

Add in my tunes and hearing protection and I’m in blissful oblivion.

6 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

+1 for Godspeed You Black Emperor. They actually had a brief reunion not long ago and released a new album. For more “out there” instrumentals, see if you like Rapoon and Zoviet France.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Plugged away at this guy some more this evening. Didn’t have much time but made some good progress. I’m just shy of 7 hours of scribe time so far. I ran into some crumbly bits that required some stabilization to keep them together.

F6A30CC7-8329-4A7C-B581-3386D8D5F270.thumb.jpeg.c7f09661ddd9d9408d612a9267737aa6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

2.5 hours tonight puts me at 9 hours in and I actually got to break out the Super Jack for a bit of bulk removal! The best part of the night is that I found the posterior edge of the left orbit. That’s exciting because there’s a bunch of missing bone between the nares and the orbits so I didn’t know if any of the orbits remained.

DCA57409-F22D-40B4-A89A-B1278A4C8A63.thumb.jpeg.a1c4e33967180674cfb7d2804949c820.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

This is fun to watch.  Starting to see something here.   Gooooooooooooooo Kris goooooooooooooooooo.

RB

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Now that is what I call a real fossil and a real  prep!!!!!!!!!!

My ME9100 is getting a real workout on this one. Most of the matrix is holding onto the bone pretty tightly so it’s definitely not flying off. Add in the extreme texturing on crocodyliform skulls and it really gets exciting.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My ME9100 is getting a real workout on this one. Most of the matrix is holding onto the bone pretty tightly so it’s definitely not flying off. Add in the extreme texturing on crocodyliform skulls and it really gets exciting.

Other than green river fish I have never prepped a vertebrate and I have never found a vertebrate of any kind. Just live in an area that the glaciers scoured clean... but we sure have access to the Ordovician , Silurian and Devonian within driving distance. Actually that is a white lie I did find one tooth and some placaderm armour at Arkona years ago.