T. rex tooth % complete

ZackV

I recently got this tooth confirmed as T-rex, and I had another question about the same tooth. I’ve wondered about this for probably as long as I’ve had it. The tooth is around 7/8 of an inch long, missing a chunk out of the bottom right. Regardless of the missing chunk, how complete do you think it is length wise? Is it most of the total length of the tooth if it was a perfect fossil? 

A fully rooted T. rex tooth could get up to 12 inches. Your tooth is nice. It looks like it could have had at few more inches to it.

• I found this Informative 1

Very difficult to say but the profile is still expanding but its not super fat so 2" is not unreasonable.  Its just a tip not a complete tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

It was bothering me that this tooth could have so much more length to it that I couldn’t see, so I tried to make a few reconstructions. This was mostly just to try and help me visualize what it could have looked like, so it probably isn’t super accurate. Which (if any) of these look like they would make the best fit? 

Nice tooth even though it is partial.

Of those three images I would say neither (sorry). I’ve never seen a root that is fatter than the tooth itself although others may have. 

Youre closest woth the first picture but again not as wide