Crinoid columnals ?

Quer

I found yesterday this -I guess- pieces of crinoid columnals in a Lias (Hettangian) strata. In my area -Pedraforca zone, SE of Pyrenees- Jurassic sites and crinoids are rare (most sites are Upper Cretaceous), so I know very little about them. Tne only crinoid mentioned for the area and period is Pentacrinites.

Can you confirm/refute my guess? Thanks.

DSC_0121.thumb.JPG.6139192833ee753195a3602f35d9164f.JPG

DSC_0118.thumb.JPG.df6a62754215c1011987979d88a11330.JPG

DSC_0119.thumb.JPG.4931ccc806860fd1f38ceffe1bc3cd87.JPG

DSC_0120.thumb.JPG.92ea27f8d4fbd07ab273f73ac8e9c93b.JPG

They doesn't look like Pentacrinites stem fragments, to me. Maybe some crinoid stem-to root or just holdfast fragments, or belemnite rostrum fragments, in my thinking.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think, there might be another alternative, maybe the Cretaceous Baculite hypothesis. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank guys, belemnite rostra makes sense. There are some recognisable belemnite rostra fragments embedded in rocks in the site. I didn't think of it. 

They are definitely belemnite fragments. If that is Hettangian, then they're also extremely rare! There's just a handful known from Europe - in most places, belemnites first appear above the base of the Sinemurian, in the Semicostatum Zone, where they're suddenly common.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

4 hours ago, TqB said:

They are definitely belemnite fragments. If that is Hettangian, then they're also extremely rare! There's just a handful known from Europe - in most places, belemnites first appear above the base of the Sinemurian, in the Semicostatum Zone, where they're suddenly common.

You are true, I have come it's not Hettangian. It's not my fault :headscratch:as Geological Map misled me.

I found this belemnite fragments in a site rich in brachiopods, and I've found that the site is included in this paper (in french). In short: the site is middle Lias (Sinemurian/Pleinsbachian), maybe too small to be recorded in the Geological Map.

Thanks

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Quer said:

You are true, I have come it's not Hettangian. It's not my fault :headscratch:as Geological Map misled me.

I found this belemnite fragments in a site rich in brachiopods, and I've found that the site is included in this paper (in french). In short: the site is middle Lias (Sinemurian/Pleinsbachian), maybe too small to be recorded in the Geological Map.

Thanks

Pity it's not Hettangian but I'm glad you've sorted it out! :)

Tarquin