First Steps in Planning a Micro Hunt

Ccolvin968

Hi all.

Only one of my first few posts on here as I'm primarily a collector. However, this would tie two of my hobbies together. Microscopy and fossils!

I've gone through the pinned articles on prepping, cleaning, etc. The one thing I'm still not clear on is retrieval of the matrix as easy as digging a shovel full of dirt, running it through sieves, sorting, and hunting? 

I'm currently living in Biloxi, MS, so I assume I'll need to travel an hour or two to get out of the marine deposit area that is constantly in and out. 

Thanks so much!

-C

You will want to use shifters/sieves with different size screens. Example 1/2,1/4,1/8 in. Place largest on top, smaller on the bottom. Throw dirt in shifters and collect all the material left in the bottom screen. This is your micro material the smaller the screen you use, the smaller the finds will be that you will be able to collect. Rinse as much mud and dirt as you can, then let it dry and search.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Good to know! Thanks so much!

I'll have to get some larger sieves. I have very VERY fine (#40, #60, and #80) sieves. 

I do have some very basic tools that could act as such, but it would be nice to be able to use the right equipment.

Thanks again!

The majority of the "minis" I collected are going to be between #8 and #20 mesh screen. 

The biggest obstacle will be finding those locations that actually have micros.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, Ccolvin968 said:

I'll need to travel an hour or two to get out of the marine deposit area that is constantly in and out. 

What type of microfossils are You wanting to find?

The first thing You should do is research that type of microfossil and find out where it can be found and what type of rock they are found in.

Then look at the areas near You that could have the proper rock/sand for You to search.

There are several threads in TFF's massive infobase that discuss some different collecting methods than the one previously mentioned (screening).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'll take whatever I can get at first.

I've managed to find a couple areas about an hour and a half north of me that the formations are around the Miocene area.

Since they are streams from further north in the state, I'm also guessing I could find some early cretaceous fossils as well.

From what I can see, most of the fossils found in my area in MS will be Miocene, unless I travel a bit further North and get into Oligocene deposits/formations.

Meny members here search miocene (and other ages) marine deposits for micro shark teeth.

I use a 1/4 inch screen to separate the larger finds and scrap and have a window screen below the 1/4 inch to catch the micro matrix.

But I have sifted to a finer screen for some really small stuff.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Check out Herb's threads on "Collecting Microfossils Without Breaking the Bank" for some good tips! LINK 1, LINK 2. I've found his suggestion for making screens with whatever mesh you can find cheaply (window screen, 1/4" hardware cloth, net bags from garlic, etc.) secured in an embroidery hoop useful. It does take more care to use a hoop-based screen than one with a deeper lip, but they work!

Enjoy! Micros can be lots of fun, and very cool. :D I've found that most fossil-bearing rock will weather into microfossil-bearing mud. A little work can encourage the process.