My First Trip Plan!

Ccolvin968

Hi everyone!

I just researched and planned my very first hunt ever tonight. I'm from Minnesota, but am currently living in Mississippi for work. It took some time to find the information needed in order to pick a few possible locations without driving five or more hours.

Here's what I've come up with for my trip plan. All of this will be river/stream sifting, or outcroppings from the rivers/streams.

All three are options, but Merrill, MS is likely my first trip due to the fact two rivers from the North converge there possibly depositing older Cretaceous fossils as well.

-Waynesboro, MS (2hr) Chickasawhay River — Catahoula Formation — Oligocene — 23my - 34.9my

-Merrill, MS (1.25hr) Pascagoula River — Pascagoula and Hattiesburg Formation — Miocene — 5.3my - 22.3my

-McLain, MS (1.25hr) Leaf River — Pascagoula and Hattiesburg Formation — Miocene — 5.3my - 22.3my

Potential Recoveries Expected:

• Shark/Fish Teeth
  • Shell Fragments
  • Inverts
  • Snake Vertebra
  • Echinoids
  • Others washed downstream from Cretaceous period

Thanks for reading!

-C

• I found this Informative 1

Good luck! 
I'm excited to see your finds.
I wouldn't expect vertebrates on your first trip, but it is possible.
In the Oligocene spot you mentioned, you can find scutella though (an extinct species of sand dollar) 

Thanks!

I was just doing some more searching on the area. It's a super tiny town, not even a gas station there. Where I plan(ned) on going appears to be blocked by a gate according to street view from 2013 (most recent). I could walk around it, but there are signs on either side of the gate. Can't read them from the photos unfortunately, but I'd hate to drive an hour to be stopped by a no trespassing sign if that's what it says. Might be back to the drawing board...

• 9 months later...

Hi CColvin, I am in Laurel, MS, and frequent the Pascagoula River downstream from the headwaters at Merrill.  I'm not a fossil hunter, but I can help point you to some decent access points on the River, which my brother and I have kayaked many times.  There are many large sandbars, as well as bluffs slowly being eaten away at by the River.

18 minutes ago, Ruddy said:

I'm not a fossil hunter,

And you joined a fossil forum??!!

Intruder, intruder....call the authorities, we have a breech!  :default_rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 minutes ago, caldigger said:

And you joined a fossil forum??!!

Intruder, intruder....call the authorities, we have a breech!  :default_rofl:

Correct.  But I am interested in fossils.  Does that count?

11 minutes ago, Ruddy said:

Of course!  Welcome, welcome!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 minutes ago, Ruddy said:

Most certainly.

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png