Large echinoid

MrBones

I found this echinoid fossil a few months ago. It is about 10cm long, I have only ever found two of these.

It was found on a rocky beach in Abu Dhabi, UAE

20190225_200734.thumb.jpg.033cff79114d4e9ece9df1b50a736f19.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Roger.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Would anyone come with an example of a similar clypeaster? 

Based on the intruding petaloids and elongated shape i dont see the connection

I know nothing about clypeaster, but it seems Hemipneustes to me, a rare Maastrichtian echinoid genus which, according to Fossilworks, is found in Spain... and Oman (Hemipneustes persicus). This is a piece I have of Hemipneustes pyrenaicus, whith have similar size:

DSC_0129.thumb.JPG.b2e3e354f0aae5f21468a962c76f6a6e.JPG

Strata information would be most helpful...

1 hour ago, Phevo said:

Would anyone come with an example of a similar clypeaster? 

Based on the intruding petaloids and elongated shape i dont see the connection

I can see your point now. I just said that it looks like one to me. What would you suggest?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hemipneustes or similar holasterid might be a good guess. The misleading character might be the curvature of the petal rows. Now I can see in a blow-up, that they are not turning back to the starting point.
For future determination of fossils, it will be good to have images taken from six sides, as it was suggested many times before. Geological settings might be on help, also. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Quer said:

I know nothing about clypeaster, but it seems Hemipneustes to me, a rare Maastrichtian echinoid genus which, according to Fossilworks, is found in Spain... and Oman (Hemipneustes persicus). This is a piece I have of Hemipneustes pyrenaicus, whith have similar size:

DSC_0129.thumb.JPG.b2e3e354f0aae5f21468a962c76f6a6e.JPG

Strata information would be most helpful...

This one looks more like it, I googled clypeaster, but it looked more like a sand dollar then an urchin. I found this on a beach, and it is encased in very hard clay with rocks and shells. I do not know it's strata.

This is not a Clypeaster and even less a Hemipneustes. On Clypeaster, the ambulacres are wider and raised. On Hemipneustes, the even-numbered ambulacres are on test.
Here we have a sea urchin with hollow ambulacres, in depression.

20190225_200721.thumb.jpg.391e7fff808885ea12b732d3b84076e3.jpg

This photo shows the side of the fossil, the line running trough is the underside of the fossil, the sides have been eroded off20190226_131441.thumb.jpg.da47c3804a0b098aeb5c98080efc6d39.jpg

Some of the other echinoids really look like Clypeaster.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes, the other are Clypeaster

If you have found these echinoid in the same level, your first echinoid is not Iraniaster because it's cretaceous genus and Clypeaster is miocene

Maybe Pericosmus

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221956981_Echinoid_assemblages_as_a_tool_for_palaeoenvironmental_reconstruction_-_An_example_from_the_Early_Miocene_of_Egypt

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I can see your point now. I just said that it looks like one to me. What would you suggest?

I didn't have a good suggestion unfortunately, as I haven't Come across similar specimens in the dtrata i usually Hunt