How do these fossils look?

Pterygotus

@Pterygotus

Please remember the guidelines of the Forum do not allow 'copy & paste' or screenshots of ad copy (sales text).  Thanks. ;)

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

My thoughts in these fossils:

Sail: I have a complete neural spine "sail" and both sides are smooth there are no ridges in the center or edge.  Also the ones in Stromers plate (photo) are smooth.  Not sure what tell you.

5kaB8Ip.thumb.jpg.ec3ac834b7880d51a1d55bb40fdde25c.jpg

Siamosaurus tooth: it's common to have gold leaf placed on a fossil.  In fact the Siamosaurus tooth being sold at the Tucson show had one and so does one in my collection.  What concerns me is the shape of the tooth it's bulbus not long and circular.  It's different than the ones in my collection, the holotypes (see photo) or others I've seen.  However there are features like the heavy ribbing that is consistent with the holotypes.   It could be one of the larger Anterior teeth but nothing is published.

Buffetaut describes the teeth having cross sections ranging from ovular to near circular.  Marked ribbing is displayed on both the labial and lingual faces, with roughly 15 ribs per side.  The mesial and distal carinae were reported to lack serrations. 

Unfortunately there are just not that many to compare against and make a good assessment but it may be one.  I'm not sure.

(See my update in reply posted below)

Spinosaurid-teeth-A-Siamosaurus-suteethorni-holotype-Thailand-Sao-Khua-Formation.png.7921406439ad56254555f3e5a132226b.png

Jaw: See link that Reptile Tooth added above.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Siamosaurus tooth: it's common to have gold leaf placed on fossil.  In fact the Siamosaurus tooth being sold at the Tucson show had one and so does one in my collection. 

Why?

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

17 minutes ago, JohnBrian said:

Why?

I have the same question.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

11 minutes ago, JohnBrian said:

Why?

The comments by Pterygotus were removed.  They are put on there by Buddist Monks as a sign of reverence that it's a treasured item.

• I found this Informative 6

I'm not sure what that flat ridged bone is but those scratch marks sure are interesting. Looks like possible bite marks.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I slept on that Siamosaurus tooth and feel more comfortable that it's as described.  Not much else it can be with that ribbing.   It may be an unerupted tooth that is not fully formed why the shape. 

10 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'm not sure what that flat ridged bone is but those scratch marks sure are interesting. Looks like possible bite marks.

The description said they were bite marks.

5 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

The description said they were bite marks.

Yeah I'd feel comfortable with that description.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

I slept on that Siamosaurus tooth and feel more comfortable that it's as described.  Not much else it can be with that ribbing.   It may be an unerupted tooth that is not fully formed why the shape. 

How rare are siamosaurus suteethorni and is the species a spinosaurid? Also is your spinosaurus neural arch complete and could i see a picture of it? Weren’t the only spinosaurus neural arches destroyed in the bombing?

13 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

How rare are siamosaurus suteethorni and is the species a spinosaurid? Also is your spinosaurus neural arch complete and could i see a picture of it? Weren’t the only spinosaurus neural arches destroyed in the bombing?

Very rare because after their export ban in the early 2000 no more came out of the country.  All the teeth you see, my guess, were obtained in the late 90's from the same individual in Thailand.   They were then sold on e-bay.  Like I said above little has been published on this species so have to believe little is known about this Spinosaurid.  You sometimes see partial spines at Tucson show

Here is my spine it's basically complete no resto on it 3 feet tall almost 1 meter.

SpinoSp1aa_edited-1.thumb.jpg.e99133306b21cff092832048c1adffca.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

56 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Very rare because after their export ban in the early 2000 no more came out of the country.  All the teeth you see, my guess, were obtained in the late 90's from the same individual in Thailand.   They were then sold on e-bay.  Like I said above little has been published on this species so have to believe little is known about this Spinosaurid.  You sometimes see partial spines at Tucson show

Here is my spine it's basically complete no resto on it 3 feet tall almost 1 meter.

Are partial spines with predation still rare?

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I saw the fossil itself of siamosaurus rare or is it just because the export is banned?

Just now, Pterygotus said:

I saw the fossil itself of siamosaurus rare or is it just because the export is banned?

I think both for collectors.

25 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Are partial spines with predation still rare?

Of course but I don't think the one you show is one, that center rib is very odd.  Do you have a photo of a spine with a rib down the center?

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

I think both for collectors.

Of course but I don't think the one you show is one, that center rib is very odd.  Do you have a photo of a spine with a rib down the center?

By spine with a rib down the center what do you mean?

Saw this siamosaurus tooth in Tucson, it is very nice and is fairly fat. However, as Frank already pointed out, such heavy ribbing combined with present carinae is atypical for Crocodyliformes, so I think it actually is a Siamosaurus.

@gigantoraptor texture doesn't really match cartilage and it looks like it is porous, basal view picture will help the ID. Although with such small piece I don't know if it is actually a Spinosaurid neural spine and not Carcharodontosaurid or sauropod?

The Tooth Fairy

1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

By spine with a rib down the center what do you mean?

These are the features that are raising questions and unknown in origin.  I cannot recall any dinosaurian spine with this center feature but this is the Kem Kem anything is possible

550542C1-C597-4AAA-B2F9-2431A277EC38.thumb.jpeg.3bba5c1dde00803eed05f85df5205d23.jpg

49 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

@Troodoncouldn't the 'sail' part actually be part of an Onchopristis numidus rostrum (giant sawfish)? 

Agree with Anomotodon.   I think a photo of both end might help like he suggested

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Agree with Anomotodon.   I think a photo of both end might help like he suggested

The seller did not put any pictures of the end on. This is the best I could get out of a photo

78DDB01C-71AB-4E38-8ADF-A783A59811F1.jpeg

this might help I no longer have it but with everything I photograph it, LT helped me with the identification saying it was a nerural spine 20170820_011207.thumb.jpg.53065677e67a485b87bc948909f458a3.jpg