Rowboater

Yesterday was warm here (75 F=~24 C), but rainy and extremely windy. The spring peepers (early frogs were out and noisy!)  About 45 F this morning (7C), and less windy, so decided to take a chance on trees and limbs falling.  The little creek was up and difficult to get into the spot I wanted to hunt (I got soaked and cold as it is), so I just tried a mixture of old and new 'holes'.  Was expecting the water to be much warmer, but must be spring fed, extremely cold.  The scud (tiny freshwater shrimp) are breeding and are everywhere, salamanders as well.  Saw one big green frog and a box turtle (hopefully they'll survive the freeze tomorrow).  Screening near a hole with raccoon tracks came up with four crawfish claw points.  Not so good on the shark teeth, mostly small and broken (and lost two of three angel shark teeth I found).  The yellow sand shark tooth was not well fossilized; the roots were intact, but completely crumbled in the bucket.  As usual when slow, picked up lots of stuff that will probably end up in my driveway.  Decided to try one last spot (mostly dug out) where I used to find cow shark teeth, and my first  scoop of sand and gravel yielded a nice cow shark tooth with root!  Made the trip.  Hopefully the water will drop eventually and I can dig in flooded spots.

022619-1.jpg.76758aca15af2f546265af45593c90eb.jpg022619.thumb.jpg.c075f3d1cdac44d8b8a0e08d5530885d.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/26/2019 at 5:22 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:
On 2/26/2019 at 5:31 AM, Darktooth said:

Gotta love that cowshark!

On 2/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, goatinformationist said:

Yep, big fan of the cow shark.  Nice haul on a cold day.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, sharko69 said:

Nice cow! 

Very nice.:)

Thanks everyone!  Cow shark teeth are my favorites, but I don't find many.  The weather had been pleasant but now cold with more rain on the way.