Would this be a good hunting site (photo attached)

Ccolvin968

I'm still learning how to select fossil hunting sites. 

Unfortunately any of the common ones that everybody goes to is over 6 hours away and doesn't turn up more than shark teeth.

Would the area I selected on this map be suitable for hunting?

My concern is that it's sandy, but I obviously can't tell what lies below that or right along the banks.

I would primarily be hunting in or near the water.

Any thoughts on this location, or any locations that are within two hours of Biloxi, MS would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-C

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 4.31.28 PM.png

I don't know the area at all, so take this with whatever size grain of salt seems appropriate. ;)

If the area isn't too far away (within an hour or whatever your "off the cuff" range is), and you know it's publicly accessible, I'd go check it out. Sand isn't necessarily a bad matrix for micros, especially if it's dry and easy to sift on-site. Bring a strong hand lens, sift some sand, and take a look at what you get while you're there.

The potential downside of sand is that it's abrasive. Your micros may be more worn that what you'd find in a muddy site. (The downside of mud, on the other hand, is that it's a lot more tedious to wash and sift!)

Good luck!

Thank you, Medio!

I would be hunting both micros and larger specimens. Unfortunately there aren't many muddy places for an off the cuff trip for me around here. Almost all sand. :-( 

In that environment, in Ole Miss, I would definitely be on the lookout for large pieces of pet wood.

Ascertain formation with geomaps ahead of time, then research fauna of that formation to help tune your shape recognition ahead of time.  Beats flying blind.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Shellseeker provided this sound advice for finding gravel:

Today, I was prospecting and digging. The gravel may be under 5-10 inches of sand or other material.  I get out of my kayak and walk the kayak up the river, probing with a 5 foot metal rod. When the gravel "sounds" hard packed or big enough chunks, I dig thru the sand, gravel, to bedrock, clay, or mud.

What I find determines whether I move on or continue digging there.

Good Hunting,