Found in South Island, NZ, Don't know what it is

agatex

I really have no idea what this is. Maybe I am missing something obvious. Maybe a nautiloid fragment? It was found in a fossil-rich hard miocene(I think) sand/mud stone. In the that piece of rock were some poorly preserved bivalve and gastropods. Lastly, what would cause those interesting markings on it? 

The NZ $1 coin is has a diameter of 23mm

Thanks!

what fossil is this-3.jpg

what fossil is this-1.jpg

what fossil is this-2.jpg

what fossil is this-6.jpg

what fossil is this-4.jpg

what fossil is this-5.jpg

Edited by agatex
clarification
  • I found this Informative 1

the markings are fossil worm tubes, the hexagonal marks are probably coral or perhaps bryozoans.

and welcome to the forum :D

• I found this Informative 2

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hi,

1 hour ago, agatex said:

The NZ $1 coin is has a diameter of 23mm

what fossil is this-3.jpg

If you are able to give us the size of the coin, why didn't give us the size of the fossil ? :headscratch:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

59 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

If you are able to give us the size of the coin, why didn't give us the size of the fossil ? :headscratch:

Coco

He wanted to show off the elegant kiwi bird. 

I see nice surface borings and bryozoans.

These look like ctenostome bryozoans, similar to Pierrella larsoni.

5c74ed6fe03f5_whatfossilisthis-6.jpg.23c14b126df22584932eab741e24ec35.thumb.jpg.e2e142195ac0291d6d48c89b7351aa2d.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Coco

If you don't have a reliable ruler or measuring device to hand you can look up on the internet what size a coin is, it's a little harder to look up how big your fossil is, not saying this is what happened but a possible scenario.

Edited by Rayminazzi
Edited for clarification

I’m sorry, but I’m not gonna waste my time looking online for the size of an American coin or any other country! It’s not complicated to measure fossils instead of measuring the coin ! When we ask for identification, I find it normal to make it easier for the person who helps.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Folks I apologize. I didn't mean to offend or waste anyone's time. Using a coin for scale made sense in my mind. Apart from my introduction post, this is my first post here and I did spend ages trying to take good photos. I will measure the fossil and post the dimensions here. 

I'm wondering, if the meandering surface traces can't be close to Scolicia igen? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

15 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I see nice surface borings and bryozoans.

These look like ctenostome bryozoans, similar to Pierrella larsoni.

Here are is close up. Those traces appear 3D. 

Here is the ~10mb full resolution file if you care to take a closer look:

what fossil is this-1.jpgScreen Shot 2019-02-27 at 3.33.01 PM.jpg

what fossil is this-1.jpg

Edited by agatex
fixed link

Here is one more photo showing the dimensions. It's hard to show a 3D object. There are two of these bifurcated shapes in the matrix going in different directions. I have tried to show them by tracing over them.

dimentions.png

Edit: this angle shows the two structures better, one above the other5c75fdc022cce_whatfossilisthis-1-4.thumb.jpg.5452a7c9b40197359b683c5676a085e2.jpg

Edited by agatex

1 hour ago, agatex said:

Here are some of the photos with dimensions indicated.

I think this picture shows an oxidation layer (brown) that has formed in fractures and weathered exterior surfaces. Some may be from steinkerns, but there is evidence of fracture in this picture

5c74ed727dc1f_whatfossilisthis-4.thumb.jpg.4882d57c9f9d0a6c1a440ff2277bd641.jpg

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

I think this picture shows an oxidation layer (brown) that has formed in fractures and weathered exterior surfaces. Some may be from steinkerns, but there is evidence of fracture in this picture

The only thing that makes me think it isn't a fracture is that there are two structures with the same shape pointing in different directions. But I am a newbie so I don't even know what I don't know ;)

While weathered and exposed to water, these structures were enclosed inside rock. I didn't find these structures until I got and could see some of those markings through a hole in the rock. 

Edited by agatex

The main fossil is a steinkern (internal mold) with the shell material dissolved.  I think the polychaetes grew on the inside of the shell so we are seeing them from underneath where they attach to the shell.  The same may be true of the bryozoans which is why you can see the hollow interior of each zooid.

I'm not sure of the ID of the steinkern.  People have suggested a nautiloid and I can see some resemblance but the division into camerae is not complete.  I suspect it might actually be something else.

Don

Cracks can propagate into 3d suado cubic structures.

Oxidation can occur along parts of the cracks while leaving other portions unoxidized.

Oxidation will also occur where there is water flow through the rock/crack, and can be quite far from the surface, which are exposed when the rock is broken open.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

what you have is an internal mould of a type of limpet latiidae these are from Pliocene north isl nz. size from 20mm-100mm

20190227_171552.thumb.jpg.ea0a731dbf67111241ccadcf387ed4cc.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Just now, Dave (POM) Allen said:

what you have is a type of limpet these are from Pliocene north isl nz. size from 20mm-100mm

20190227_171552.thumb.jpg.ea0a731dbf67111241ccadcf387ed4cc.jpg

That's looks extremely promising, thanks! 

18 minutes ago, Dave (POM) Allen said:

what you have is an internal mould of a type of limpet latiidae these are from Pliocene north isl nz. size from 20mm-100mm

@Dave (POM) Allen any idea what species you have there? 

Hi,

10 hours ago, agatex said:

Folks I apologize. I didn't mean to offend or waste anyone's time. Using a coin for scale made sense in my mind. Apart from my introduction post, this is my first post here and I did spend ages trying to take good photos. I will measure the fossil and post the dimensions here. 

Congrats et thanks for sizes ;) However, I let the more competent members answer.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Folks, I think @Dave (POM) Allen has figured it out, it is Maoricrypta radiata which is a limpet like creature from the Late (and possibly Middle) Miocene period. They tended to stack on top of each other.

BM90x29j.jpg.80e1a031d1348ec00620e3a0819dc8f5.jpg

Thanks to everyone to helped, especially @Dave (POM) Allen and those that identified the marking on it. 

Really great to be part of this community. 

Edited by agatex