Any red flags with this Spinosaur claw?

msantix

Hi,

I know claws have been discussed quite a bit before on the forum, but i wanted to ask about this Spinosaur hand claw. It is said to have about 5% restoration and is over 5 inches long. Can anyone spot any red flags to be wary of or does it look good? Thanks.

P1530659.JPG

P1530660.JPG

P1530663.JPG

P1530661.JPG

P1530662.JPG

The blood groove looks carved imo. I wouldn’t go for it. @Troodon could give you the best opinion though.

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

2 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

The blood groove looks carved imo. I wouldn’t go for it. @Troodon could give you the best opinion though.

I was thinking the same thing with the 1st pic. The 2nd one looks like it might be a composite from at least 2 different pieces. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

This one may have been posted before, even. 

Definitely carved. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Correct it was recently posted and everyone's got it correct a fake.  Like I've always said that the blood groove is the hardest characteristics to replicate this one was poorly done

Thanks everyone, i didn't realise it was posted before, but i guess the likelihood of large claws like this being fake is very high. I do wonder however why the seller noted it had around 5% restoration - from what i have seen, sellers don't admit to any work being done on a fossil if the whole thing is fake, i suppose maybe the seller didn't know?.

5 minutes ago, msantix said:

I do wonder however why the seller noted it had around 5% restoration - from what i have seen, sellers don't admit to any work being done on a fossil if the whole thing is fake, i suppose maybe the seller didn't know?.

That could be. Some resellers will take the description at face value from those they purchase from. 

Less scrupulous sellers may speak of minor restoration to increase the perception of authenticity, as it would be reasonable to expect among seasoned collectors that some restoration and repair work is the norm for premium and rare specimens. A fake fossil being sold as having zero restoration may be less convincing than saying it has some minor restoration. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

My experience is that lots of sellers are just not that savy to properly identify issues with these type of claws why you have to be careful like you did.  

There is only 5% restoration.... They restored the real part. :whistle:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Having held this claw in my hands before, I can say that there are real claw parts.

But yes there is also restoration/compositing. It looks better now that it did when I had saw this claw in person.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite