Carboniferous plant suggestions

westcoast

This should be an easy one for the plant people here. I'm looking for some suggested id's for this Pennsylvanian/Bashkirian/Namurian plant fragment. Length is 10cm or 4 inches. I find lots of fragments of these which I usually ignore but haven't seen the bifurcating pattern in the lower part of the picture before. I hope that will make id easier.

20190227_090210.jpg

5 hours ago, westcoast said:

I find lots of fragments of these which I usually ignore but haven't seen the bifurcating pattern in the lower part of the picture before.

In my opinion you still haven't. Can you actually point to where the vascular strands bifurcate ?

It looks like two cordiates leaves to me.

I'm not too familiar with fossil plants, but I'm wondering if can't be something like Ginkgophytopsis or similar. Take a look to the pictures from here .

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Ginkgophytopsis   is a possibility that I was unaware of.

I still can't make out any vascular strands that seem to actually bifurcate though.

Everything to the left of this line sweeps to the left. The same to the right, but none seem to clearly meet.

20190227_090210.thumb.jpg.fa2cc61a5c3dd19bcb2eb50a76c5b3d1_LI.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Meantime I made a pdf for the mentioned plant material, considering it might be good for further reference. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...

Cyclopteris dilatata? or sp.       dilatata is large enough and so are a couple of others.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!