Fossils in Summerville, SC Spring break 19

Shawn V

Hello!

This is my first posting in this forum. I'm coming down to the charleston area and hoping to find some meg teeth and other fossils. I have done lots of dives for them but haven't found any (people in my group have found them). I'm interested to find some land sites. I'll be traveling in my van and will have a nice inflatable kayak and snorkeling gear with me.

Let me know if you have any advice or want to meet up Mar 1-8 and go on an adventure hunt.

Any fossils I find will be used in my general and environmental biology class I teach a a local community college here in Greensboro!

Thanks!

- Shawn

Hey Shawn, and welcome to the Forum from sunny Atlanta. 

A good general biology class in your neighborhood should include sections of William Bartram's writings from the 1770's.

Boy howdy, what he wrote about the sharks teeth at that time in South Carolina in "Travels through North & South Carolina, East & West Florida, the Cherokee Country, the Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges, or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws, Containing an Account of the Soil and Natural Productions of Those Regions, Together with Observations on the Manners of the Indians".

Whet your apatite here: https://books.google.com/books/about/Travels_Through_North_and_South_Carolina.html?id=o78t2kCEBaAC&source=kp_book_description

I grew up in the Suwannee river valley so know a good bit of WBartram by heart.

Best

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Shawn, I am not an expert at all.  Just started hunting a little while ago myself.  I have had a tiny bit of luck at Folly Beach, one of the canals in Summerville, and on a sandy/muddy beach in the Wando river (and with a tiny bit of luck, I mean tiny teeth and only a few.... others seem to have no issues here finding large megs and lots of them).  I have a grant deadline (NIH) on March 5th and am unfortunately not able to go out this weekend. Next weekend would have been ok for me.  I have attached one of the teeth I found at Folly a few months ago.  Word is that people have found quite a few teeth over the last few weeks. Also, I am still searching for the elusive creeks were the nice megs are found.  Good luck.

Andy

IMG_7359.JPG

I just talked to Charleston Fossil Adventures ( https://www.chsfossiladventures.com  but their site is currently not working) and they have kayak tours. The half day tour is 119-150 depending on number of people and the 3/4 day is 200. This includes all kayak gear and lunch. Let me know if anyone has used them before or is interested in getting a trip together. I figure spending a few bucks for pay dirt is way more economical than endlessly wandering around.

Shawn

Good luck during your visit. The water is going to be too cool for snorkeling for my taste. You'll be alright with a wetsuit.

Ashby Gale from CFA is very legit. I don't know him well but have run into him a few times and have corresponded with him about fossil ID. He has a background as an interpretive ranger at Edisto State Park and has been spoken of with great respect by several mutual acquaintances. I know you'll be on very solid footing with him.

If you care to shoot me a PM I can possibly share a few ideas, but I'm far from an expert myself.

G

• I found this Informative 2

Hi Shawn I know a guy who does land hunts he’s incredible and let’s you take everything you and he finds. Look him up on FB his name is Barry Segura he may be able to hook you up.

Carol

16 minutes ago, Oliscada said:

Hi Shawn I know a guy who does land hunts he’s incredible and let’s you take everything you and he finds. Look him up on FB his name is Barry Segura he may be able to hook you up.

Carol

I messaged him so we will see if he's interested in guiding me on a tour. Thanks for the recommendation!

- Shawn

Hello, Shawn, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

Good luck! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pretty good time in Summerville. I did a kayak tour with Charleston Fossil Adventures and stomped through some creeks.

Here are a few of my finds.

image.thumb.png.47a548b0294777a944a135c99e467c45.png

Banded Water Snake .png

42 minutes ago, Andy B said:

Is that a mud snake?

I wish! It was a banded water snake. Water snakes are mean!

Looks like a nice trip. My family in in Myrtle Beach. Maybe I can get a fossil trip in sometime down there. I did spend one afternoon over Christmas on the beach in N. Myrtle but couldn't find a single fossil or tooth.

I shamelessly encourage you to make a visit to our museum at CofC - Mace Brown Museum of Natural History! Open tomorrow and Sunday 11-4, free admission (open all week too, just closed Wednesday)