daves64

I recently purchased an unprepped Calymene breviceps trilobite from @holdinghistory from the Blue Springs quarry in Indiana & started trying my hand at prepping (by hand). I'm using dental picks, needles, pin vices, small nylon brushes & hydrogen peroxide (actually softens the top layers of the matrix a bit). Anyhoo, I saw something in the pics that got me curious & once I had worked the trilo for a bit, I decided to see if I could prep the whatever it was some & find out what it is. Included is one of the original pics from his post & a micro shot of the thing I'm asking about. It measures a whopping 11 mm in length. It isn't the cleanest, but it looks ok. It seems to have been hollow at one point, but I don't know. Any idea's? The red circled area is what I saw in the original pic. Oh yeah, there's a lot of pyrite running through the matrix. Nasty little veins of it. :wacko:

A090 - 20190228_114301.jpg

IMG_3925.thumb.JPG.4008d57ae91b2e44cd36e7bc62ae7ea5 - Copy.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Another trilobite, I would think.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If that's the case, it would be more of a trilo-bit... That's all there seems to be. At least so far.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

looks like you have molts of several trilobites

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

In  addition to the C. breviceps that is obvious the "mystery" specimen is the pygidium of Glyptambon verrucosus (Hall).  The pustules on the axial rings suggests this species.  The tail spine appears to be missing and it's folded over a bit.  You did a very nice job preparing it without air abrasive.  

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks everyone! Now I know what the thing is. A trilo-bit to go with my almost complete trilobite. I got lucky with the matrix actually. It's soft enough that what I have to work with works. Also found 2 tiny little black shells as well. One on the main piece & one on a small bit that popped off the back section due to a crack. Bug is almost done, just have some pesky matrix bits to deal with where the pleural lobes connect with the axial lobe, and some on the face. Measures at 3.5 cm, so kinda tight spots to work in & I'm trying not to scratch it up too much. Definitely been fun though. :D

Now this was fun! I took what started off as little more than 2 short rows of tiny little bumps & now have about 2/3 of a pygidium molt of a Glyptambon verrucosus. I may try to clean it a bit more later on, but for now, it's good enough for me. Not too shabby for first timer with needles (at least I think so). :D

A096 - 20190301_091017.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice job! Well done!

Hey Dave, is there more trilo "bits" on the end of the piece?

5c783ea32612a_IMG_3925.thumb.JPG.4008d57ae91b2e44cd36e7bc62ae7ea5-Copy.JPG.9a6dcb5cb38a2b776980d697de3f2d28.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fossildude19 That is the head section of a C. breviceps, the tail end is above it. It's almost complete except for part of the left side being broken off & a little front end damage. I need to retake pics of it. The ones I took a little bit ago were blurry except for a couple. Those were beautifully in focus... including the hair that was laying across it. :wacko:

Just found another small unknown by the partial molted pydigium. About 11 mm in length, seems to be segmented & appears to run underneath the rear end of the C. breviceps. Looks almost like a partial spine, but that can't be right, can it? The segments all seem about the same size. Any idea's? Maybe some sort of coral? Starting to wonder just what else I may find in this small chunk of pre-history.. :headscratch:

A096 - 20190304_105248.jpg

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Crinoid holdfast ?

Looking at pics online, I think you might be right. Thank you! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

This rock is turning into a regular hash plate.. I think I now have a bryozoan *might be wrong* (possibly pyritized) as well along with 3 of these little brachiopods. So far no Holy Grail (Monty Python's still looking for that), but I'm definetely getting more than I thought.

A094 - 20190304_190417.jpg

Maybe not the grail, but it makes a fine scepter. :)

Yes bryozoan. Pyritized?, not so much.

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Maybe not the grail, but it makes a fine scepter. :)

I guess at that angle, it does sort of look like a scepter. Very nice. :)