looking for advice planning a trip from CT to MD, PA, and WV

Dsailor

Hi Folks,

Usually during spring break I am at work making maple syrup but this coming week it will be too cold for the sap to flow. I am planning a trip south from CT and would like to check out fossils in PA, MD, and WV. I'll probably leave March 6th and return March 10th or 11th. Certainly want to check out the Calvert Cliffs and see what I can find in PA and WV. Any tips or advice on location would be really appreciated, or, if you want to meet-up that would be even better. It is so great to meet other fossil enthusiasts.  I don't mind the cold and could help out with gas money or buy lunch. Thanks, Dom

Hi Dsailor,

What route are you planning on using I-95, I-81, PA Turnpike ( bring a big bag of Gold coins -its pricey)? Post specific areas you'd like to check out and you might get some better responses. The Northern Tier of PA is mostly barren of fossils (worth stopping to pick up) but central PA (Susquehanna River Valley) can be a lot of fun and there's been some nice stuff from the Port Jervis area ! It all depends on your Itinerary. Good Luck! I'm too far west in PA to be of any practical help.   

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

15 minutes ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Hi Dsailor,

What route are you planning on using I-95, I-81, PA Turnpike ( bring a big bag of Gold coins -its pricey)? Post specific areas you'd like to check out and you might get some better responses. The Northern Tier of PA is mostly barren of fossils (worth stopping to pick up) but central PA (Susquehanna River Valley) can be a lot of fun and there's been some nice stuff from the Port Jervis area ! It all depends on your Itinerary. Good Luck! I'm too far west in PA to be of any practical help.   

Thanks, I am wide open as far as where to go. Looking to do a bit of road tripping

Then I'd recommend a trip down US Rt 15 along the Susquehanna River. Many of the road cuts are fossilferous. It will also put you close to Deer Lake & Seven Stars. Just a thought.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

I'm sure us MD folks would have no problem saying hello!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I would definitely check out Bayfront Park (Calvert Cliffs) and the two Paleocene Aquia sites along the Potomac. Information about locations and tides is available online for those sites. You'll probably want to bring waders.

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Then I'd recommend a trip down US Rt 15 along the Susquehanna River. Many of the road cuts are fossilferous. It will also put you close to Deer Lake & Seven Stars. Just a thought.

Thanks, I assume in PA it is cool to hunt road cuts?

I've never had any problems as long as you're not a traffic or safety Hazzard.  I wouldn't try it on Major interstates  (i80, 76, 81, 276, 79 etc) or near a big city or if therequired is a Pennsylvania dept. Of Transportation  "no trespassing" or "no stopping" sign. About the same size as our speed limit sign & white w/ blackletters!

6 hours ago, traveltip1 said:

temp forecast looks like frozen ground

Yeah, this new storm may bring my plans to a halt :(

Hi Dom, Maple syrup? Very cool! I used to tap trees before we moved to our current property/farm (cattle/pigs then market garden) which only has one smallish sugar maple. I will be moving to the Catskill formation in north central PA in the near future (laid-off but with a pretty good severance package) for a good chunk of the season. Mostly working the ledges at Red Hill. So message me if you want to come by.

11 hours ago, Paul1719 said:

Hi Dom, Maple syrup? Very cool! I used to tap trees before we moved to our current property/farm (cattle/pigs then market garden) which only has one smallish sugar maple. I will be moving to the Catskill formation in north central PA in the near future (laid-off but with a pretty good severance package) for a good chunk of the season. Mostly working the ledges at Red Hill. So message me if you want to come by.

Thanks, will do. The trees should start flowing again Saturday and hopefully the weather stays good