Torvosaurus tooth and bone chunks

Pterygotus

I recently saw this torvosaurus tooth and bone chunks for sale online. How does it look and could it be edmarka? Also how rare is this? Here is the description:Measurements (In matrix): ~ 6-1/2" long x 4" wide x 2" thick Measurements: ~ 3-1/4" long x 1-1/2" wide x 3/4" thick Location: Morrison Formation, Red Canyon Ranch, Bighorn County, Shell, Wyoming Time period: Late Jurassic , 150 MYO.

C4976C6E-9D83-4305-95CD-758723C43836.jpeg

CEB3BB7D-4311-4581-9477-E9CC3465A133.jpeg

1CBED479-268B-4A6C-8581-0F97FFCEF0BC.jpeg

2B1EBDAD-9661-4381-8CC1-AC313FFB4AEA.jpeg

Hi Pterygotus,

I have personally held that Torvosaurus tooth. It is very real. It is the last of a batch of Torvosaurus teeth that were found a few years ago. This tooth was the only one with associated matrix and bone. I do not know what species the bone chunks are from. The seller thinks they are part of the Torvosaurus' jaw. I am familiar with this seller and can vouch that he is trustworthy. 

• I found this Informative 1

I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure on an ID just from these pictures . We need to see the mesinal carinae (how far do the denticles come?). We also need a denticle density on both the mesial and the distal side. 

Given the size of this tooth there is a big chance this is a Torvosaurus tanneri tooth, since it was the apex predator in the Morisson formation. 

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Tooth is marked sold on their site.  

It is being sold on another website which probably bought it.

Oh yes found the current seller.  Its most likely a Torvosaurus but the photos are not adequate to assess the ID, condition of the tooth and serrations or if any repair has been to it.   

FYI

The description of the matrix block differs than what the original seller said.   No comments were made on that website that the bone was thought to be a jaw remnant from the same animal.  That seller instead said the bone fragments were a 5" x 3" vertebra section and a 3" bone piece from a rib all from an unidentified dinosaur.

Another item not currently mentioned is that the initial seller said a small section at the center bottom of the tooth was damaged during the bone-hunting process in the field.  It was easy to repair and restore, and no serrations were affected.  

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Oh yes found the current seller.  Its most likely a Torvosaurus but the photos are not adequate to assess the ID, condition of the tooth and serrations or if any repair has been to it.   

FYI

The description of the matrix block differs than what the original seller said.   No comments were made on that website that the bone was thought to be a jaw remnant from the same animal.  That seller instead said the bone fragments were a 5" x 3" vertebra section and a 3" bone piece from a rib all from an unidentified dinosaur.

Another item not currently mentioned is that the initial seller said a small section at the center bottom of the tooth was damaged during the bone-hunting process in the field.  It was easy to repair and restore, and no serrations were affected.  

Does all of it look from the same animal?

Also I have seen several torvosaurus teeth from Portugal but only two from the USA. Does this make the USA torvosaurus rarer even though I’m pretty sure that the Portuguese one has less remains?

21 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Does all of it look from the same animal?

No way to determine that all you see are fragments.  The initial digger would be best to determine that based on what type of quarry where were in and they have already said on their webpage  they are from unidentified species.

18 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Also I have seen several torvosaurus teeth from Portugal but only two from the USA. Does this make the USA torvosaurus rarer even though I’m pretty sure that the Portuguese one has less remains?

No Torvosaurus from Portugal are very rare while you regularly see those from States for sale.

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

No way to determine that all you see are fragments.  The initial digger would be best to determine that based on what type of quarry where were in and they have already said on their webpage  they are from unidentified species.

No Torvosaurus from Portugal are very rare while you regularly see those from States for sale.

Do you know if proceratosaurus or ceratosaurus from Portugal is rarer?

If you see a good quality tooth from Portugal for a good price, buy it if you like it and get it IDed later.

2 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

If you see a good quality tooth from Portugal for a good price, buy it and get it IDed later.

There’s a nice website which has quite a few teeth from Portugal 

10 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

If you see a good quality tooth from Portugal for a good price, buy it if you like it and get it IDed later.

Do these fit the description of good quality? They are both around 2cm. The first is an megalosaurid and the other is an allosaurid.

DA396C96-8C6C-4D2B-87CF-14F39C2F81E6.jpeg

771FD6F4-19AB-450E-BA0F-00F0E6B06E9D.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Do these fit the description of good quality? They are both around 2cm. The first is an megalosaurid and the other is an allosaurid.

DA396C96-8C6C-4D2B-87CF-14F39C2F81E6.jpeg

771FD6F4-19AB-450E-BA0F-00F0E6B06E9D.jpeg

This is pretty beaten up but is probably rarer than both of them. It is around 3cm and is ceratosaurus.

267E8C72-F16E-4229-9738-CCC9CDFCEB02.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

This is pretty beaten up but is probably rarer than both of them. It is around 3cm and is ceratosaurus.

267E8C72-F16E-4229-9738-CCC9CDFCEB02.jpeg

I wouldn’t trust an ID on that as Ceratosaurus until you get it in your hands and look at the serrations yourself.

Yes anything from Portugal is very rare.  The top two teeth look fairly complete and good.  I cannot look at these teeth and identify them just based on photos.