Which Keichousaurus To Prep?

jdiaz55

I'm looking at purchasing another Keichousaurus for preparation, and wondering what the experts' opinions are on which of these two would be easier to prep for a relative beginner like me. The first one looks entirely covered in shale, and the second seems to be a little more exposed. I have my Paasche air eraser that I was planning on using, although if someone recommends an acetic acid prep over the air abrasive for these specimens for one reason or another, I would love to hear suggestions.

If the second one is more likely to be incomplete/damaged than the one under rock, I would prefer to stay away from that. But that being said, if it would truly be easier to work with the one that is already partially exposed, I am all for that! 

r100.jpg

r78.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

@jdiaz55, I would be inclined to go with #1 just out of personal preference. The images aren't the best but #2 doesn't look to be damaged. If you're looking for something to practice on, #2 is probably better since it is easier to see what's going on.

I would withhold my decision on prep method until I had the piece in hand. If the matrix is rather soft, abrasion might be the best route. If it is one of the harder varieties, I would definitely opt for acid prep. That being said, I have done a bunch of acid preps so I am comfortable with the process. Acid prep can go horribly wrong if not performed properly but when done right, it's hard to beat the results.

• I found this Informative 3

Either would be good to practice on. The second one is missing vertebra in the neck and has a fair amount of putty on it. Hard to tell what's there on the first one, but it may be nice. Comco sent 100 micron aluminum oxide instead of 50. I could send you a bag of the 100, but it just doesn't work on the keichs. They should be sending me the 50 on Monday. I will let you know when it arrives. Meantime, if you want, you can't do too much damage with sodium bicarbonate, although it will be slow going.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Either would be good to practice on. The second one is missing vertebra in the neck and has a fair amount of putty on it. Hard to tell what's there on the first one, but it may be nice. Comco sent 100 micron aluminum oxide instead of 50. I could send you a bag of the 100, but it just doesn't work on the keichs. They should be sending me the 50 on Monday. I will let you know when it arrives. Meantime, if you want, you can't do too much damage with sodium bicarbonate, although it will be slow going.

I wondered if that's what that was on the neck, glad to hear that suspicion might be right!

Dang, that's a shame! No sweat, I can be patient and wait for the 50. Is the 100 pretty reliable for trilobites and fish? I'll definitely check out using some sodium bicarbonate, thanks for the tip!