daves64

I bought an unprepped, slightly damaged Breviceps trilobite from HoldingHistory recently to see if I can actually prep something. No air pen, no air abrasives, no real tools at all. Just some needles, pin vices, dental picks, an old nylon cleaning brush from an electric razor & some hydrogen peroxide. Many hours later, I have gotten it to this. I may try to get the last little bits of matrix out of the crevices at some point, but for now I'm pretty happy with my first real attempt. 2 pics showing before, the rest current. Not too terribly bad, is it?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

IMG_3925.thumb.JPG.4008d57ae91b2e44cd36e7bc62ae7ea5.JPG

IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.891416e553bf27b84ca7c069db00140b.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Nice job on the excavation!  My fingers are getting sore just think about attacking that project with a needle.

Well done, Dave!

Looks great considering the tools used. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

That's where the pin vices come into play. Plus the matrix was sort of soft. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well done, Dave!

Looks great considering the tools used. :) 

Awe shucks... t'warnt nuttin. :laugh2::faint:

Forgot to mention... the bug is 3.5 cm long by just under 2 cm wide.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, rebu said:

Looks good, well done. Be careful this is addictive, bet you can't wait for the next one :)

There's a next one? :o

Well done. This is proof of what I've always said. Given enough time and determination, one can prep fossils with just about anything. The high dollar tools simply make it faster and easier.

I would say nicely done!   Write a santa claus list and make sure you have an air abrisive unit on it too.  Good luck. 

RB