Silurian Finds Near Locust Grove, Ok

Ron E.

Drove about 60 miles to a spot in NE Oklahoma which is Silurian in age. (map: It's the second purple splotch down from the NE corner).

Strange fossils to me. I could use some help!

post-1880-12543363750099_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12543363926335_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12543364088733_thumb.jpg

Cone-shaped mollusks, remind me of limpets (except no hole at the crown)

post-1880-12543364601473_thumb.jpg

Overall hash plate

post-1880-12543365019031_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12543366326145_thumb.jpgpost-1880-12543365385589_thumb.jpg

Brachiopods, I presume, but they seem to have multiple layers! Practically every one is in this layered state.

Help?

Hi Ron

The top row left and right are Class LINGULATA Brachiopods, maybe an ORBICULOIDEA, they were called Inarticulate Brchiopods several years ago.

Hi Ron

The top row left and right are Class LINGULATA Brachiopods, maybe an ORBICULOIDEA, they were called Inarticulate Brchiopods several years ago.

Thanks!~ Didn't have the classic brachiopod shape, fooled me. :wacko:

Guest solius symbiosus

My first thought was monoplacophoran(Tergomyid), but that is because I am unfamiliar with the lingulates. I think that Archimedes nailed it.

I'm probably off the page here, but that last set of Brachs sure look like some I've seen in Mississippian to Pennsylvanian rocks here in PA. Can't think of the name right now. Are you sure they were all Silurian rocks you were hunting in?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'm probably off the page here, but that last set of Brachs sure look like some I've seen in Mississippian to Pennsylvanian rocks here in PA. Can't think of the name right now. Are you sure they were all Silurian rocks you were hunting in?

Yep, a local expert told me about the site. He's a geologist.

Nice finds... all of these spots seem to be just far enough away from me to be inconvenient. I'm glad you found some good stuff though..

I've hunted close to Locust Grove, I thought I was in Missisippian. Found hash plates with similar general appearance, but not sure if the same?

Our favorite finds... my son found one whole crinoid, and we found a small nautaloid with crystallized inner whirls. Also found sporadic poorly preserved trilobites.