Unknown bone or fossil plant?

nivek1969

Hello all-

I may have posted asking about this piece before but cannot find the post here, so maybe it was another forum. Can someone help identify. I bought this along with another similar looking bone that was from a Mosasaurus here in Texas, though this smaller piece is darker in color and not from the same specimen. 

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

KP 

unknown 1.jpg

unknown 2.jpg

unknown 3.jpg

The ridges on the piece, especially in the second photo, suggest a clam steinkern/cast from a razor clam. Similar shaped clams occur in Texas Cretaceous rocks. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_clam

1DC65955-5C1E-4870-928E-8C0262B4FB60.jpeg

Also see: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/74930-help/&tab=comments#comment-789453

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

15 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The ridges on the piece, especially in the second photo, suggest a clam steinkern/cast from a razor clam. Similar shaped clams occur in Texas Cretaceous rocks. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_clam

1DC65955-5C1E-4870-928E-8C0262B4FB60.jpeg

Also see: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/74930-help/&tab=comments#comment-789453

Are you sure that they would get this thick? From what I have seen they are fairly thin compared to what is seen on this one.

• I found this Informative 1

Could you take some pictures of the sides of the fossil, that would be very helpful and make it easier to identify.

These photos show all sides and I do not see many ridges, it's mostly smooth. Do you mean photos of each end? It's round as well. A rib bone maybe?

Maybe it's a poorly preserved Baculite? :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

39 minutes ago, nivek1969 said:

These photos show all sides and I do not see many ridges, it's mostly smooth. Do you mean photos of each end? It's round as well. A rib bone maybe?

Yeah that is what I meant, the word would not come to me in that moment though.

Here is your other post.

I am not seeing any sutures to indicate baculite.

I'm thinking ironstone concretion on this one. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm stumped.
Is this a common preservation for aragonite in the NSR? How does calcite shell material from there look?

@garyc

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've never seen that previous topic, but I see that Garyc had the same idea. Suture lines may be visible only if the outer shell is eroded away in some level.
If not, the curved parallel ornamentation lines may be present.

5c7ad43567e4e_unknown2.jpg.953da0f1dbc11c34e2087635230c9e33.thumb.jpg.af5d74b79d57aaea0ff5b4906ff5dc3f.jpg

Baculites_scotti.jpg.67744ca918fca8ad3f7e356eb67a68a9.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library