snolly50

Thanks for posting this exciting account. I very much enjoyed the scenic photos as well. The first and the one with crepuscular rays were especially appealing to me.

Tidgy's Dad

I also thoroughly enjoyed the photos of landscapes as well as the ones of fossils.

Thank you for sharing.:)

Norki

I can't take credit for the landscape photos - those would be the work of my friend - but thank you anyway!

Edited by Norki

fossisle

WOW what an awesome find!!

Heteromorph

Amazing finds and lovely scenery. Sounds like a exciting site! Can't wait to see what else comes from there. Any chance of the amber containing fossils? 

Fossildude19

Very cool report, finds, and pictures. 

I took the liberty of cropping and brightening the CT scan image.

stitchA.PNG

Norki
10 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Any chance of the amber containing fossils? 

Nothing on a macro scale. The amber was only present as small particles within the grain of the lignitic wood. It excited one of the paleontologists because it meant that she'd be able to get the attention of one of the senior researchers, their "amber guy",  and have another reason to come back to the site. :D

JohnJ

Good fortune, a keen eye, and a canoe are always a good recipe for great memories.  Congratulations. :)

Troodon

Very cool thanks for posting 

bcfossilcollector

Very very interesting. Thank you!

jdp

Wow, that skull scanned really nicely. Looking forward to hearing more about it!

LordTrilobite

Amazing find indeed!

Processing CT scans can certainly take a while depending on the quality of the scan and fossil. Sometimes parts can be done completely automatically but in other cases everything has to be done by hand and can take a long time to complete.

RJB

Quite the find to say the least.  Very interesting report.

RB

The Amateur Paleontologist

Wonderful account! Wonderful fossils and fossil location -

that elasmosaur skull is simply beautiful!!

Can't wait to hear more about this discovery :) Also looking forward to the paper!

-Christian

Norki

Thanks everyone for your posts.

I have a few questions relating to the process of describing the fossil that I hope someone may have the answers to...

1. Considering that this fossil has not been described yet, is it prudent of me to me sharing photos publicly over the internet? What determines the "rights" of a scholar or institution to a fossil's description, and am I in breach of their trust by sharing the information in my main post? As I mentioned, the museum has already released news about the discovery of a "baby elasmosaur" skull in a press conference last summer, so to me it seems to be fair game.

2. I know that it's common for vertebrate fossils to be missing their skulls (particularly long-necked plesiosaurs), so what I'd like to know is just how rare this specimen is, and how far up the taxonomic tree the new description will likely climb. I know that it's also common for skull holotypes to be described as new species, but I can imagine that the taxonomic classification becomes a bit muddied the further you climb, particularly in a case where the holotype in question is an isolated skull, and many of the animal's closest relatives are known only from post cranial skeletons.

3. It's common academic courtesy to name the species after the person who discovered it, right? :fingerscrossed:

Thanks.

jpc

Excellent find and tale.  Thanks for sharing.  Concerning your questions.... 

1.  There is indeed reason to be concerned about this.  The best (and only ) way to handle this dilemma is to just ask them if you can post p[ix of the unprepped fossil on social media.  If they say yes, yippee, if they say, not til we publish, then do so later.  And if you go against their wishes question number 3 becomes a strong NO. 

2. Yes, this is wicked rare.  I am not sure I understand your question about how high up the taxonomic tree will climb.   It will be a challenge to put into a classification if it is being compared tomostly headless beasts. 

3. This is all up to those who do the describing, but it can't hurt to ask, with a smile on your face.  And see Question 1.

Keep us posted, even though I fear it will be slow process.  

Norki

I asked, and it turns out that it's fine to keep the photos that I've already shared posted online. Apparently there's not enough scientific information available in the single plane that's exposed in the photos, not to mention that the museum is chiefly concerned about the possibility of locality information being shared than photos of specimens.

I'm glad that I cleared this up with them anyway - I'll definitely be more prudent about this in future.

Norki

That said, I should probably refrain from posting images of the CT scan here when they're done, right?

fossisle

Yes,wait until it is published. Again what an amazing find!!