Cardabiodon and Cretoxyrhina

Chase_E

Hello everyone! 

I figured I’d show everyone all of the cardabiodon and Cretoxyrhina I own! 

To start off here are my two cardabiodon. The left one is a Cardabiodon ricki from the Malii Prolom Quarry in the Ryazan Region of Russia. I’m not too sure how old the tooth is. The second tooth is a Cardabiodon venator from Kansas. 

9D2D0D36-1B2E-4F73-BA40-42FFC2BF0153.jpeg

697319C1-5DAB-49BE-91AF-EF841A8B9C0A.jpeg

Teeth looking good :)

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for any Cardabiodon teeth...

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Do you have a profile view of the Russian specimen? Based on the labial/lingual views only it looks more like Dwardius. The latter genus is far more common in the 'Vraconnian'-Cenomanian of Russia than Cardabiodon. I only think I have seen one definite Cardabiodon tooth from Russia (from the 'Vraconnian'? part of the sequence in one of the iron ore pits in Stary Oskol; E. Popov collection). The late Victor Zhelezko had another specimen from the Cenomanian of Kazakhstan.

Cardabiodon is only common in the Western Interior Seaway. Everywhere else it is quite rare and represented by very small numbers of teeth from large, presumably subadult/adult individuals. It is not difficult to collect several specimens in a day's work at the Mosby site in Montana (you need permission from the land owners of course; see Siverson & Lindgren, 2005).

In the English chalk (the Cenomanian-Turonian part) Dwardius teeth outnumber those of Cardabiodon by maybe 50-100:1 or thereabouts. In the WIS I am yet to identify any Dwardius teeth with certainty. 

Those rounded secondary cusplets at the base of the cutting edge is a cardabiodontid feature present in Cardabiodon, Dwardius and an unnamed cardabiodontid in the upper Albian of Queensland, Australia. It is a particularly common feature in Cardabiodon but not restricted to this genus.

• I found this Informative 2