Transition between C. chubtensis and C. megalodon & Lineage

Troodon

A new publication explores the transition between C. chubtensis and C. megalodon, loss of cusplets

Please note the following statement about lineage by some very influential authors:

"we do not feel that the transition from angustidens to chubutensis is as marked as suggested by Cappetta (2012), given that the lineage represents a chronospecies with very gradual morphological change through time. As such, we choose to maintain a single genus for all serrated forms, given that they are easily distinguished from Otodus obliquus, and use the genus Carcharocles for subsequent taxa (C. auriculatus through C. megalodon) because the description of Carcharocles by Jordan and Hannibal (1923) precedes that of Megaselachus by Glickman (1964)."

Journal of Vert Paleontology 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2018.1546732

The transition between Carcharocles chubutensis and Carcharocles megalodon (Otodontidae, Chondrichthyes): lateral cusplet loss through time

Victor J. Perez , Stephen J. Godfrey, Bretton W. Kent, Robert E. Weems & John R. Nance

Screenshot_20190304-122727.thumb.jpg.7978bc456cc44107cd38c78ff1e2ac36.jpgScreenshot_20190304-122746.thumb.jpg.87fe9495fcd90c2197bae8bd593f4e04.jpg

@siteseer

• I found this Informative 6

Cheers Frank, Ill have a read. It's always interesting to read about new updates in regards to their lineage  :)

sixgill pete

Thanks for adding this Frank. Very good read folks! 

Brett Breakin' Rocks
3 hours ago, Troodon said:

A new publication explores the transition between C. chubtensis and C. megalodon, loss of cusplets

Awesome .... so that means ?!  .. I can just shake my head and toss up my arms because a bunch of smart scientists can't agree on the name ?  The wheel turns ...  Since I never jumped to O. Megalodon, I guess I'll just sit on my hands. (At least my labels are safe ----> for now)

haha.  This is a great paper !

Thanks,

Brett