How The Megalodon Lost its Cusps

Scylla

Fantastic Article,

I have started multiple TFF threads discussing this point.  Nice to have some scientific backup...

A couple of cusp bearing juvenile Megs below from the Peace River Florida

.....Adult C. chubutensis had cusplets while adult megalodon did not, but this feature is not a reliable identifier of which species a tooth belonged to, Perez said. Juvenile megalodon could have cusplets, making it impossible to discern whether a tooth with cusplets came from C. chubutensis or a young megalodon.

Some teeth analyzed for the study had tiny bumps or pronounced serrations where cusplets would be. A set of teeth from a single shark had cusplets on some, no cusplets on others and replacement teeth with reduced cusplets.......

RSCN0953t.thumb.jpg.54af972c9c6099f9bc8d46019411697b.jpg.e2949448ed138847f5f2c0ec7e3293a8.jpgBabyMegAtZolfo2.jpg.9897fe8d86c361dcda2c15416798e079.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I know the lead author as I've worked with him on other projects. Glad to see this paper has finally seen the light of day. It's been his major focus for some time so I'm glad it is now out in print. Heading up to Gainesville soon to volunteer dig at Montbrook again. Will have to take Victor out for a celebration dinner. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S: One of my favorite quotes from Victor in the above story:

"This study is almost entirely built on the contributions of
amateur, avocational paleontologists," he said. "They are a
valuable part of research."

• I found this Informative 2