Jump to content
Manticocerasman

Back to the late Devonian with a touch of Cretaceous.

Recommended Posts

nala

i like a lot the brachiopod and the Bivalve ,nice finds!:dinothumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al Dente

Could this be a small placoderm jaw? I used to find similar ones in the Devonian of Iowa.

tooth.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
8 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Could this be a small placoderm jaw? I used to find similar ones in the Devonian of Iowa.

 

Hmm mabey, I was more inclined to think it was primitive shark tooth, it seems to have some enamel . but any insight is welcome :-) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Very nice finds! :)

I really like the crinoid and tooth, but the bivalve and the inarticulate brachiopod are gorgeous.:wub:

Always great to find a few bonus items when you make a speculative stop as well. 

Is the mystery item the scale of a fish? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
16 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice finds! :)

I really like the crinoid and tooth, but the bivalve and the inarticulate brachiopod are gorgeous.:wub:

Always great to find a few bonus items when you make a speculative stop as well. 

Is the mystery item the scale of a fish? 

Thx Adam, 

it is not a fish scale, but you are on the right track, think bigger ;) it is in the 3 big blocks right of the hammer, 2 of them are the positive and nagative. the 3d block on the right is coverd in mud, but contains more of the fossil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al Dente
2 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Hmm mabey, I was more inclined to think it was primitive shark tooth, it seems to have some enamel . but any insight is welcome :-) 

 

Here are a couple photos from the internet. Does your tooth have the same parallel rows of dots that you can on the first photo?

 

 

jaw1.JPG

jaw2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Placoderm? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rebu

Very nice finds, congrats. I am not going to speculate because the truth is I have no clue what it can be but can't wait to find out :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

Nice finds, Kevin. I've no idea what your mystery fossil could be, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Here are a couple photos from the internet. Does your tooth have the same parallel rows of dots that you can on the first photo?

 

 

 

 

It looks like there are dots on it, but realy small, I cant make out if they are in rows.

 

I'll have it check out at the local museum by a Devonian fish specialist. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
Just now, Manticocerasman said:

 

 

Yes an arthodire Placoderm, and a realy big one :D 

the split rock is a plate from around 35cm long on 25 cm wide and there is more in the other rock.

Congrats! Great find.

And do I win a prize? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
14 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Congrats! Great find.

And do I win a prize? ;)

I can send you pictures of brachiopods :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
6 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

I can send you pictures of brachiopods :P 

Yes, please!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
16 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, please!:D

 

 

There you go: those are the ones I found on this fieldtrip. ( Atripa, Athirys, rhynchonellids,... )

IMG_20190305_190848.thumb.jpg.ee628fbad78eae1db06262ff0c8694fc.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Thank you very much.

I feel better now. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

I'm with Adam - the pyritized bivalve and brachiopod are exquisite!!!  Congratulations on your great finds, including the tooth and placoderm piece!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul1719

Are the parallel ridges of the placoderm plate surface ornamentation or internal structure? I assume this is near-shore marine? It must be pretty close to the Devonian tetrapod sites? 

 

Great finds! I am sitting here in Massachusetts looking out over a very white landscape with wind-chill about 3oF (-18oC)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smt126

Awesome find on the placoderm, that matrix looks hard for prepping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman
On 6-3-2019 at 11:34 AM, Monica said:

I'm with Adam - the pyritized bivalve and brachiopod are exquisite!!!  Congratulations on your great finds, including the tooth and placoderm piece!!! 

Thx Monica :)

 

22 hours ago, Paul1719 said:

Are the parallel ridges of the placoderm plate surface ornamentation or internal structure? I assume this is near-shore marine? It must be pretty close to the Devonian tetrapod sites? 

 

Great finds! I am sitting here in Massachusetts looking out over a very white landscape with wind-chill about 3oF (-18oC)!

the parrallel rideg are both internal and external, those placoderms lack any kind of ornamentation. the deposits ar reef lagunes. the reef itself is visible in the quarry.

There are no tetrapod sites in our area.

 

 

1 hour ago, smt126 said:

Awesome find on the placoderm, that matrix looks hard for prepping

Thx :) 

Yes it is extremely hard matrix. I'm donating the pieces to our local institute, they have propper tools to remove it from the rocks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manticocerasman

preppwork on a little goniatite that I found on this fieldtrip.

It is strange to see only a small part pyritised.

 

IMG_20190305_194550.thumb.jpg.86f92b423d4e488591e3055f2d4805a6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Some really nice pieces!

Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×