Hunting for Fossil Sea Grass in the Avon Park Formation

WILDKYLE

Hey TFF Members!

Here's something a little different! Cris and I wanted to change the pace a bit, so we decided to try our hand at finding fossil sea grass here in Florida! We read some old geologic publications from the 1960's with information about where to find this fossil sea grass. Not only are plant fossils very rare from Florida, but these particular fossils are in the oldest exposed formation here in Florida! The middle Eocene Avon Park Formation. We had an awesome time searching for this stuff, and finding it! 

They might not be the "coolest" looking fossils, but holding some of the oldest fossils that can be found in Florida is such a cool feeling! Hope you can check out the video of our adventure when you get a chance!

• I found this Informative 6

Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

Nicer than the Meg teeth for me! :)

Must look to see if we can fins seagrass in Morocco.

Love to see you chaps hunting by torchlight as well. 

Good to see the duck again as well. 

Though I'm still waiting for the goose.

Honk! Honk! 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I wonder if you really go over those pieces, if you might find some evidence of little critters that may have died amongst the plant debris.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

I wonder if you really go over those pieces, if you might find some evidence of little critters that may have died amongst the plant debris.

There are supposed to be small starfish and things like that in this location as well. Gotta keep looking!

Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

Love to see that you two are branching out (unintentional plant pun). Good things happen when you track down papers from 50 years ago. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Cool finds/trip guys...as the other have suggested look at that stuff very closely with a scope/magnifying glass..there will bits of other critters in there!

Thanks for the video. 

Regards, Chris