INVITE - Annual pilgrimage through NY

DevonianDigger

Hello all!

It's almost spring, and that means it's time for @Kane and me to alter the geography of New York state once again!

Current plans are to start at Penn Dixie on April 26th, then off to the DSR area on Saturday. Sunday is a mystery still, but we're working on it. As always, anyone is welcome to come out and join in the destruction, er... fossil hunting.

Last year was a heck of a thing, lots of good stuff was found, and I think everyone had a pretty good time. 

@Pagurus, @JamesAndTheFossilPeach@Fossildude19@Malcolmt, @Jeffrey P (I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting off-hand.)

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Heck, why wait that long. Next weekend (16th) the high school science olympiad state finals will be in Syracuse. Sunday I will be somewhere in Madison county with some fellow fossil enthusiasts. Anyone wants to meet up just PM me. Also the middle school states are in Syracuse April 6th so I'll probably repeat that Sunday the 7th too.

Not sure what I have going on at that time, but it is a possibility. 
I will try to get to one of the meet ups, at least.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good luck next weekend, Gus. By the end of April I might be able to get to DSR. Or not. Thanks for the message.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Saturday I have to work. Sunday I could probably get free and there are some excellent possibilities as far as sites to visit- Cole Hill, Morrisville, etc. Hopefully we can connect.

As I stare out at the snow here, I can only dream of getting back out collecting. 

Nice initiative :) I'd love to se a simmilar tff hunting trip in Europe 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hmmmm, I will have to see what I have going on that weekend. Might be the same week as BONE metal detecting week...

If you’re doing it the 26th I’ll be home so I’m in. I’ll bring some utah trilobites back from my trip

I can’t speak about dsr but penn Dixie has a lot of complete trilobites.

18 hours ago, Scylla said:

Heck, why wait that long. Next weekend (16th) the high school science olympiad state finals will be in Syracuse. Sunday I will be somewhere in Madison county with some fellow fossil enthusiasts. Anyone wants to meet up just PM me. Also the middle school states are in Syracuse April 6th so I'll probably repeat that Sunday the 7th too.

I am not to sure what the snow situation will be next weekend. Meaning if the site will be covered or not. Central New York has been hit hard several times. Temps have been low teens for the most part so there hasn't been much melt in between storms. I guess if you are in the area anyways then there is no harm checking it out.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Dsailor said:

Are there a lot more complete trilobites at Penn Dixie compared to DSR?

I think so too

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

I am not to sure what the snow situation will be next weekend. Meaning if the site will be covered or not. Central New York has been hit hard several times. Temps have been low teens for the most part so there hasn't been much melt in between storms. I guess if you are in the area anyways then there is no harm checking it out.

Last year I did the same thing and had quite the surprise to find the nice wet shales were actually the not so nice ice glazed shales. Several slips later and the blood sacrifice to the fossil gods was satisfied. It does limit how long you can collect, but I gotta get home to Long Island so I can't stay too long anyway.

Very much looking forward to getting most of our "class of 2018" back out to DSR on that weekend. :hammer01:

Waxing nostalgic, last year was lovely -- made ever more so by digging with friends. 

7516819056_IMG_1361.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

13 hours ago, Dsailor said:

Are there a lot more complete trilobites at Penn Dixie compared to DSR?

There are more/better preserved Eldredgeops rana complete at Penn Dixie. 
There are more Greenops and Dipleura at DSR. But again, the preservation is a bit different. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 3/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, snakebite6769 said:

Hmmmm, I will have to see what I have going on that weekend. Might be the same week as BONE metal detecting week...

Nooooooo!

...besides, isn't it the 24th?

Uh oh... did I just ruin your excuse? :muahaha:

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Wish I could join in but the semester here goes to mid May so I am tethered to my teaching duties.  Hopefully I'll be up that way later in the spring/summer and can meet up with some of you then.

Don

6 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

What Tim said. He beat me to it.

Thanks guys, I can probably make it up to DSR that weekend

On 3/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, DevonianDigger said:

Hello all!

It's almost spring, and that means it's time for @Kane and me to alter the geography of New York state once again!

Current plans are to start at Penn Dixie on April 26th, then off to the DSR area on Saturday. Sunday is a mystery still, but we're working on it. As always, anyone is welcome to come out and join in the destruction, er... fossil hunting.

Last year was a heck of a thing, lots of good stuff was found, and I think everyone had a pretty good time. 

@Pagurus, @JamesAndTheFossilPeach@Fossildude19@Malcolmt, @Jeffrey P (I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting off-hand.)

Just so you all know, April 26 is my B-day.:D And @Fossildude19 is  about a week before mine I believe.:)

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:51 AM, DevonianDigger said:

Nooooooo!

...besides, isn't it the 24th?

Uh oh... did I just ruin your excuse? :muahaha:

It’s a full week of detecting, but I am going to try and go collecting if possible.