INVITE - Annual pilgrimage through NY

DevonianDigger

PM sent. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Unfortunately, the download link doesn't work anymore. I was really looking forward to reading that one too... :(

I downloaded a copy a few years ago, and will be happy to share. Drop me a note (if Tim hasn't already sent you one).

19 minutes ago, Mediospirifer said:

I downloaded a copy a few years ago, and will be happy to share. Drop me a note (if Tim hasn't already sent you one).

Tim was good enough to shoot me a copy, but thank you very much!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

A question for the group.

Would anyone object if we invite a friend or two along, or do we want to keep this limited to TFF members and family? I have a friend in Syracuse who's never been fossiling who would love to try it, if his time permits.

I'm also thinking about my local mineral club. We have a meeting this Sunday, and there are three or four (maybe half a dozen) people who might be interested in a field trip.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know! This is a TFF event, so if the group (or group organizers) prefer to keep it limited to those invited here, that's OK. I'll assume that "no comment" is "no". :D

Looking forward to meeting up!

I wouldn't object to any TFF member bringing a friend or two, but given the projected size of this gathering I would really try to keep it limited to that.

• I found this Informative 2

I would be inclined to agree. We're already pushing the over 20 mark, which is a pretty sizable gathering already. I don't mind a few extra people, as we're all like-minded folk, but we don't want to crowd out the site too much.

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I should also point out that this in reference to DSR only. If people are interested in coming out to Penn Dixie on that Friday, that I can accommodate. (Much larger site, plenty of room for everyone and then some!)

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

OK.

I'll invite our Syracuse friend (who probably won't be able to make it this time, he's REALLY busy), and one mineral club member who's really into fossils. Tom has a lot of fossils from Ohio, not so much from New York. :D

See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Less then 2 weeks, my fossil peeps! I dont know about you guys and gals, but I am getting very excited!:raindance:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Less then 2 weeks, my fossil peeps! I dont know about you guys and gals, but I am getting very excited!:raindance:

Me too.  Not looking forward to the 10 hour drive, but the first ornate bivalve I find will make it worth it.  I found some other sites I may hit along the way or way back, too, to further maximize returns :D

I am sure that you will be able to fill all your fossil desires and then some, Tony! As for that 10 hour drive, "use the force Luke"!:zen:

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I am sure that you will be able to fill all your fossil desires and then some, Tony! As for that 10 hour drive, "use the force Luke"!:zen:

Hahaha.  Quick question:  Does the matrix at DSR split relatively easily along horizontal bedding planes, or is it "blocky" like Penn Dixie?

31 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Hahaha.  Quick question:  Does the matrix at DSR split relatively easily along horizontal bedding planes, or is it "blocky" like Penn Dixie?

Tony,

The matrix at the site is usually easily split along bedding planes.

The rock is fragile, though, and tends to break easily. Usually right through the fossil.

:DOH:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Tony,

The matrix at the site is usually easily split along bedding planes.

The rock is fragile, though, and tends to break easily. Usually right through the fossil.

:DOH:

Thanks, Tim. I think I'll bring my Green River steel to aid in splitting.  Can't hurt :shrug::)

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I would consider the bedding planes “fissle”....they can be somewhat irregular and very non planar. I’ve noticed compared to Buffalo that the rocks cooperate less when it comes to splitting into nice large bedding planes. You get “dishes” and splits along a lot of the bioturbated structures. It’s quite unknown how you will get a rock to split at DSR it seems 

• I found this Informative 4

The rocks at DSR vary in toughness from soft to moderately hard. They often do not split cleanly or easily. However the rock is generally not as tough as the trilobite layers at Penn Dixie and certainly not as tough as the sandstone at Cole Hill.  I usually bring at least three sizes of chisels, plus a rock hammer and crow bar which I would be happy to lend out. Fossils replaced with calcite will often pop right out of the rock, especially the softer matrix. Don't expect to find many fossils loose lying about.

• I found this Informative 5

Another point of having the experts there is that there will be an abundance of tools and people to help you save your prize specimen. We routinely are cutting pieces out and helping people to preserve their finds. You should have no worries.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there! Counting the days...

One thing I'm planning to bring is a small dropper-bottle of water/glue mixture for stabilizing the more delicate brachiopods. I've noticed that there are a lot of single-valve brachiopod specimens there, and it's sadly common for me to pick up a rock, notice a bunch of brachs, turn it over, and watch as the brachs drop off, leaving endocasts. This time, I want to be able to stick them down!

If anyone wants to borrow the bottle, feel free to ask. :D

The early forecast is looking good; partly sunny with a high in the mid 50's for DSR on Saturday.  Hopefully that continues to hold true.

Any idea what time folks are planning to meet up Saturday?

1 hour ago, RandyB said:

The early forecast is looking good; partly sunny with a high in the mid 50's for DSR on Saturday.  Hopefully that continues to hold true.

Any idea what time folks are planning to meet up Saturday?

Myself, @Al Tahan, and @Peat Burnswere planning on meeting up at Briggs Road first at around 7:00 am  to hit up that site for a couple hours. Then shoot over to DSR around 9:00. Briggs is only about 2 miles from DSR. I cant speak for any one else.

It'll be later in the morning before Mr. Spirifer and I can get there. We'll probably arrive at DSR sometime around 11:00-noon.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, DevonianDigger said:

Another point of having the experts there is that there will be an abundance of tools and people to help you save your prize specimen. We routinely are cutting pieces out and helping people to preserve their finds. You should have no worries.

This was actually in reference to the PD dog with the experts event... I'm not sure how/why I posted it here. I may have thread hopped. Sorry about that!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

11 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

This was actually in reference to the PD dog with the experts event... I'm not sure how/why I posted it here. I may have thread hopped. Sorry about that!

It wasn't too far off the mark... There will be a lot of tools and helpful people. We have our resident DSR experts JeffreyP and Darktooth et al, and a couple of us folks who throw some big chunks down for others. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer