INVITE - Annual pilgrimage through NY

DevonianDigger

We will be arriving in Ny Friday to collect another spot or two before we go to bed for the night. We should be at DSR by 9 if all goes according to plan! 

Latest forecast shows significant all-day rainfall Friday through Sunday. :( That may be a deciding factor for those folk not so keen on collecting in a downpour. 

Buffalo (Penn Dixie) Friday weather: 57 F, 90% POP, 10-15 mm rain.

Syracuse (DSR) Saturday weather: 41 F, 80% POP, 2-4 mm snow-rain.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hmm. I may have to rethink this.  :zzzzscratchchin:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Please let me / us know as soon as possible if the event is likely to be cancelled or postponed so I can cancel hotel in time.

I looked at the forecast for Hamilton, New York.....a very cold rain looks unavoidable. Just when we thought winter was over:mellow: 

I'm still game. I just don't want to be out there by myself. I have no idea where I'm going for one thing.

We'll invite the attendees to sound off as to whether they will make the trip or not. 

I don't have much choice. I go or resign myself to having thrown away non-refundable dollars on the accommodations. It will likely be cold and miserable and wet, but given that I no longer have any viable collecting spots around me other than biannual quarry access, it's this or watch my new prep equipment collect dust. :( 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

My wife and I will attend regardless of the weather conditions. We live in upstate, NY and we're used to bad weather (much worse than Saturday's forecast).

• I found this Informative 2

I will be there at Briggs at 7 for those who discussed meeting me there. I will PM my number for those individuals later tonight.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

So far I'm still on. One of my best days at DSR (complete Greenops and Dipleura) was a day it rained all day.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, DevonianDigger said:

5c98d8ee57e49_ezgif.com-optimize(1).gif.b189a593a4302d9263da8effa880e3a8.gif

Well, I was the old guy in the yellow raincoat last year, and I've been there in the snow, but I'm afraid I won't be joining you all this weekend. It's shaping up to be a memorable day. Bring some hot cocoa or coffee. I wish you all good will and good hunting!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I’ll be there. I’ve hunted DSR twice in the snow and only one day this year ive had “nice” weather so this is just the same old same old for me hah. I was looking forward to a clean clear day.......oh well that’s just the luck of the draw. :shrug:

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone! :) 

We'll be there. We'll just have to bundle up, and possibly take a "sit in the car and warm up" break.

I like the thought of a hot drink. I'll have to see if we have a couple of thermoses around to carry something. I also recommend that everyone bring a set of dry clothes to change into!

Unfortunately, neither of the people I invited to join us will be able to make it. I'll be there with Mr. Spirifer, and we're looking forward to seeing everyone who can make it.

Just found this thread! I am near Syracuse right now (down from Alaska). If you could only do 1 of these, which one would you pick? Way closer to DSR so leaning that way.

I say go to DSR just because you said it's closer. It is the same formation as Penn Dixie but there are some differences  in finds. Both are very diverse. Even though I have never been to PD, from what I have seen, either way, you cant really go wrong.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Good luck y'all.  Wish I could be there, even with the rain (makes the fossils stand out more) and the cold (nothing good to say about that).  

Don

I’m bringing 2 large 10x10 pop up tents. I can make a large space (20x10) around some talus piles so we can split rocks in a little less wet conditions. Or set up a home base area for people to get a break from the rain if need be.

• I found this Informative 4

My wife and I will be making the trip as well.  We may try to hit Briggs with the early birds, but we will definitely be at DSR.

2 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

I’m bringing 2 large 10x10 pop up tents. I can make a large space (20x10) around some talus piles so we can split rocks in a little less wet conditions. Or set up a home base area for people to get a break from the rain if need be.

Not sure if that is a good idea, Al.  :shakehead:

They are calling for winds up to 25 mph,  ... with gusts of up to 40 mph possible.  :unsure: 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

21 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Not sure if that is a good idea, Al.  :shakehead:

They are calling for winds up to 25 mph,  ... with gusts of up to 40 mph possible.  :unsure: 

Oh man.....what a day it will be! They are pretty compact so I’ll have them just in case. I didn’t look at the wind forecast. If it’s too windy I won’t set them up

2 hours ago, RandyB said:

My wife and I will be making the trip as well.  We may try to hit Briggs with the early birds, but we will definitely be at DSR.

We will atleast be there till 9, maybe later depending on when you get there and everyone else. Both sites are very close to each other.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg