Jump to content
DevonianDigger

INVITE - Annual pilgrimage through NY

Recommended Posts

DevonianDigger

Unfortunately, the download link doesn't work anymore. I was really looking forward to reading that one too... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

PM sent. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mediospirifer
5 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Unfortunately, the download link doesn't work anymore. I was really looking forward to reading that one too... :(

 

I downloaded a copy a few years ago, and will be happy to share. Drop me a note (if Tim hasn't already sent you one).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger
19 minutes ago, Mediospirifer said:

 

I downloaded a copy a few years ago, and will be happy to share. Drop me a note (if Tim hasn't already sent you one).

 

 

Tim was good enough to shoot me a copy, but thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mediospirifer

A question for the group.

 

Would anyone object if we invite a friend or two along, or do we want to keep this limited to TFF members and family? I have a friend in Syracuse who's never been fossiling who would love to try it, if his time permits.

 

I'm also thinking about my local mineral club. We have a meeting this Sunday, and there are three or four (maybe half a dozen) people who might be interested in a field trip.

 

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know! This is a TFF event, so if the group (or group organizers) prefer to keep it limited to those invited here, that's OK. I'll assume that "no comment" is "no". :D

 

Looking forward to meeting up!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

I wouldn't object to any TFF member bringing a friend or two, but given the projected size of this gathering I would really try to keep it limited to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

I would be inclined to agree. We're already pushing the over 20 mark, which is a pretty sizable gathering already. I don't mind a few extra people, as we're all like-minded folk, but we don't want to crowd out the site too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

I should also point out that this in reference to DSR only. If people are interested in coming out to Penn Dixie on that Friday, that I can accommodate. (Much larger site, plenty of room for everyone and then some!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mediospirifer

OK.

 

I'll invite our Syracuse friend (who probably won't be able to make it this time, he's REALLY busy), and one mineral club member who's really into fossils. Tom has a lot of fossils from Ohio, not so much from New York. :D

 

See you there!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Less then 2 weeks, my fossil peeps! I dont know about you guys and gals, but I am getting very excited!:raindance:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Less then 2 weeks, my fossil peeps! I dont know about you guys and gals, but I am getting very excited!:raindance:

Me too.  Not looking forward to the 10 hour drive, but the first ornate bivalve I find will make it worth it.  I found some other sites I may hit along the way or way back, too, to further maximize returns :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

I am sure that you will be able to fill all your fossil desires and then some, Tony! As for that 10 hour drive, "use the force Luke"!:zen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I am sure that you will be able to fill all your fossil desires and then some, Tony! As for that 10 hour drive, "use the force Luke"!:zen:

Hahaha.  Quick question:  Does the matrix at DSR split relatively easily along horizontal bedding planes, or is it "blocky" like Penn Dixie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19
31 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Hahaha.  Quick question:  Does the matrix at DSR split relatively easily along horizontal bedding planes, or is it "blocky" like Penn Dixie?

Tony,

The matrix at the site is usually easily split along bedding planes.

The rock is fragile, though, and tends to break easily. Usually right through the fossil.

:DOH:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns
1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Tony,

The matrix at the site is usually easily split along bedding planes.

The rock is fragile, though, and tends to break easily. Usually right through the fossil.

:DOH:

Thanks, Tim. I think I'll bring my Green River steel to aid in splitting.  Can't hurt :shrug::)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

Another point of having the experts there is that there will be an abundance of tools and people to help you save your prize specimen. We routinely are cutting pieces out and helping people to preserve their finds. You should have no worries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mediospirifer

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there! Counting the days...

 

One thing I'm planning to bring is a small dropper-bottle of water/glue mixture for stabilizing the more delicate brachiopods. I've noticed that there are a lot of single-valve brachiopod specimens there, and it's sadly common for me to pick up a rock, notice a bunch of brachs, turn it over, and watch as the brachs drop off, leaving endocasts. This time, I want to be able to stick them down!

 

If anyone wants to borrow the bottle, feel free to ask. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RandyB

The early forecast is looking good; partly sunny with a high in the mid 50's for DSR on Saturday.  Hopefully that continues to hold true.

 

Any idea what time folks are planning to meet up Saturday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth
1 hour ago, RandyB said:

The early forecast is looking good; partly sunny with a high in the mid 50's for DSR on Saturday.  Hopefully that continues to hold true.

 

Any idea what time folks are planning to meet up Saturday?

Myself, @Al Tahan, and @Peat Burnswere planning on meeting up at Briggs Road first at around 7:00 am  to hit up that site for a couple hours. Then shoot over to DSR around 9:00. Briggs is only about 2 miles from DSR. I cant speak for any one else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mediospirifer

It'll be later in the morning before Mr. Spirifer and I can get there. We'll probably arrive at DSR sometime around 11:00-noon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger
On 4/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, DevonianDigger said:

Another point of having the experts there is that there will be an abundance of tools and people to help you save your prize specimen. We routinely are cutting pieces out and helping people to preserve their finds. You should have no worries.

This was actually in reference to the PD dog with the experts event... I'm not sure how/why I posted it here. I may have thread hopped. Sorry about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scylla

Wish I wasn't working this weekend :shakehead:. Good luck to everyone out there hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
11 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

This was actually in reference to the PD dog with the experts event... I'm not sure how/why I posted it here. I may have thread hopped. Sorry about that!

It wasn't too far off the mark... There will be a lot of tools and helpful people. We have our resident DSR experts JeffreyP and Darktooth et al, and a couple of us folks who throw some big chunks down for others. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×