Bone or rock?

MamaByrd

I was hoping someone could help me identify this. My 6 year old found it in our backyard in Amarillo, Tx and he’s convinced he’s found something special. I have no idea if it’s anything at all, but I promised I would try to find out. For size reference, it’s about 2 inches long and 2 inches at its widest point. Thank you for your help! 

90247B60-C0F6-4280-AA6C-9E13E7B59906.jpeg

07FE4224-9E17-45D7-9C0F-9F743CE0955E.jpeg

I'm not seeing anything particularly bone-like. I am curious about this:

1 hour ago, MamaByrd said:

07FE4224-9E17-45D7-9C0F-9F743CE0955E.jpeg

Can you get some more quality photos of this? 

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Sorry but it looks like humanite to me. A fragment of concrete from a surface that had previously been repaired, or leveled.

Future archaeologist ? :) 

Not really sure what this is, pictures are to blurry.

Can You retake a couple of pictures?

One straight on to the surface and close ups of the areas circled in red.

90247B60-C0F6-4280-AA6C-9E13E7B59906.thumb.jpeg.c15047814cac6c192e0eaa7e64f92627.jpeg.9d0c84b8d4bebfe53b224fe1451751dd.jpeg

Thank You.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the quick replies! He’s got big plans to be an archeologist someday and is currently calling this “his greatest find.” Lol. I’m sorry about the pics. I tried to take a few more. Hopefully they’ll help. E321A2DE-F210-4CF3-AC1C-3CB1130D0088.thumb.jpeg.b69fe94e5f64c18edc9f43818952ee02.jpeg

834BFEE6-E23B-4360-B044-EC7057A2C122.jpeg

I think I see bubbles on the fractured edges. Ceramic or resin? Try to see if a hot needle melts it.

2 hours ago, Scylla said:

I think I see bubbles on the fractured edges. Ceramic or resin? Try to see if a hot needle melts it.

Concrete repair products often contain polymers (?) to help with adhesion.  Latex is added to improve weather resistance.

• I found this Informative 2

You all have been so helpful. Thank you so much! I took a few more pictures. Hopefully they are what you’re looking for. I tried to zoom in on the bumped up bits, but I’m shooting with an iPhone and all of my pics end up super blurry. :/ 

2D714E54-3B69-4EB2-8C08-55CFF5F6EFB2.jpeg

310A514E-5A84-4FDD-A050-482A7CAE4DA1.jpeg

I’m also trying the hot needle trick now. I’ll update in just a few. Thank you!

8730E060-2D58-4453-BAB6-CAC55646A831.jpeg

We tried melting the spots with a hot needle, and they did not melt. They did burn a bit. One was able to sink in a little bit and my husband scraped away at that spot. It flaked off a little bit. That’s about it though. My son however thought this was the coolest experiment, so thanks for making his day! 

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

I think it is an odd sedimentary rock with no fossils.

Maybe not so odd ? Try this on.

The terraced layers with a porous texture are the underlying sediments. The other smoother textured side represents a relatively impermeable layer on top. The slumping and 'puckered carpet' look is from the eventual dewatering of the porous layers and settling related to it. .

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Maybe not so odd ? Try this on.

The terraced layers with a porous texture are the underlying sediments. The other smoother textured side represents a relatively impermeable layer on top. The slumping and 'puckered carpet' look is from the eventual dewatering of the porous layers and settling related to it. .

Sounds pretty odd to Me!:P

Actually, that is as good an explanation as any other.:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

17 minutes ago, ynot said:

Sounds pretty odd to Me!

The concept is from an explanation I picked up at the museum in Blue Bay Nova Scotia. The slumped, wrinkled look is common there. 

What a neat concept! Thank you for taking the time to help us out! My little guy is still holding out hope that it’s a sedimentary rock from the Dino age, but he’s quite happy that he really did find something special. Here’s the little treasure hunter himself. :) Thanks again! 

8CA2894D-E2D0-4B4D-9E3D-3B6BC25183D1.jpeg