Is It a Fossil

Ms Michal

I'm almost afraid to show you this one. But, this is the one that started me on my journey into the unknown world of fossils. I found this piece on the land I live on. It was at the bottom of a small hill below me. I'm not good with measurements of land. I'm guessing if I dug straight down from my house may be 10 or 15 feet. I picked it up on the ground which dogs have been running chains over so it may be abit further down. I picked up several different pieces there. Which I will show in another post. Thank you for any help you can give. I forgot to name the area. It's Wilson County not far from Nixon Texas.

20190308_153603-2.jpg

20190308_153145-1.jpg

20190308_153219-1.jpg

The photos are a little grainy, but this looks like an ironstone concretion, not a fossil, to me.  These concretions have a habit of mimicking fossils and confuse even lots of experienced collectors.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Indeed. 

Nice ironstone concretion that sparked your interest. 

It absolutely deserves to be kept and used as a paperweight. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

nice concretion

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

The first photo reminded me of a neck of a bottle. Than I was thinking maybe, ornamentation on red clay native Indian pottery. You might have a shard but sharper images would have to be supplied.