Dawghouse05

Can anyone guide me in the right direction on this find please ? I’ve got a few others to post as well . Many thanks in advance , John 

A0C3A0ED-B68F-40BD-B46E-59486FAE7424.jpeg

D08AF42A-F2EC-4E34-93E3-2D4851E45506.jpeg

I know very little about fossils but I’m certain this is one. Pictures aren’t great . 

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Dawghouse05 said:

I know very little about fossils but I’m certain this is one. Pictures aren’t great . 

Lol, Dunning-Kruger effect anyone? :P I can't tell either way with those pictures.

I don't know much about art, but I do know what I like :P But I do profess to know enough about fossils to be able to say that the first one is more than likely just a rock and probably the second one as well. But let's wait until you've posted the photos which Caldigger is asking for before we jump to any conclusions.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 hours ago, Dawghouse05 said:

I know very little about fossils but I’m certain this is one.

Precisely where I started about 19 years ago.

I was wrong, as are you I'm afraid, but I find being wrong an excellent way to learn when you have the help.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

Can we see some more ( different angles) of this section?

20190308_221322.png

10 hours ago, Dawghouse05 said:

It looks like a silica-rich nodule, like chert.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes, without the additional photos it would appear to be chert. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

As far as can be judged from the photos this specimen lacks bone texture and despite a superficial "bone-like" shape it doesn't actually match the morphology of any vertebrate bone.  Lots of phosphatic nodules wash up on the coast and they can easily be deceptive.  I'm speaking from personal experience.  However real bones and teeth of ice age mammals, as well as shark teeth of Miocene to recent age, can be found.  If you post photos of your other finds we'd be delighted to take a look!

Don