Is this a Pterosaur tooth placed in a non-Pterosaur jaw section?

I am certainly not getting my hopes up for this fossil, because from experience of seeing theropod teeth placed in croc jaws and people labeling it as a 'rare Spinosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus jaw" on the market, the likelihood of finding an original jaw with associated teeth not from different animals is extremely rare (at least in the case of theropods and pterosaurs). However the seller has this as a Pterosaur jaw piece with one associated Pterosaur tooth and wanted to see whether you all think this is a composite or not. From what i know, there have only been two toothed Pterosaur jaw sections found from the Kem Kem Beds (the holotype for Siroccopteryx and the holotype for Coloborhynchus Fluviferox). The fossils is 5 inches by 3 inches. Thanks.

pterojawwidewtooth_001.JPG

pterojawwidewtooth_002.JPG

pterojawwidewtooth_003.JPG

pterojawwidewtooth_004.JPG

There are indeed only two toothed pterosaur species described in Morocco. Siroccopteryx moroccensis and Coloborhynchus fluviferox are both seem to be Ornithocheirid and impossible to identify by teeth alone. The holotype of Coloborhynchus fluviferox is a small partial from the front of the skull. It's a piece without teeth. First picture shows the holotype and the second the location of the piece. I've never seen the holotype of Siroccopteryx moroccensis but it's the same piece of the skull but a bit more complete and with teeth. We have not much to base ourself on.

image.png.21076a770e5f3b72a3da53bb045a007c.png

image.png.e9714a12a65c0f75fa6ad82f1ecaa7d3.png

That being said, the jaw you show is incredibly robust and doesn't look like pterosaur jaws.  I have some trouble with the pictures to get a good 3D view in my head. I think it's a composite. The tooth is a typical pterosaur tooth from the Kem Kem beds.

• I found this Informative 1

My initial though was that this is a fish jaw with a composite tooth, also the pictures imply it is from the lower jaw but could instead be from the upper jaw. I am not interested in the tooth, the reason to mention it is if in fact it was associated - which would mean the jaw is pterosaur, but if not then extremely unlikely to be pterosaur. Also i think in the last pic i can see some matrix around the tooth, so most likely a composite. Way too much doubt to even consider buying it imo.

Pterosaur jaws are typically not as robust as this one.  Need better photo of tooth to determine if its even pterosaur 

As for the jaw I do believe it to be all one pieces too robust for any pterosaur the tooth does look to be pterosaur but can't be sure without better close ups of the socket. That being said I am fairly certain this is not a section of jaw from a pterosaur again for reasons stated above also one other point to note the width is way too large for a pterosaur.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks everyone for all your help,  always important not to make an impulse buy!