I need some ID help/education. I saw a few vertebra for sale and they are in my price range so I thought I would put them on the forum and gather some more informed opinions about these.

First up is a "Raptor" vertebra from Hell Creek. It is around .8" x.5" inches. I lack the skills to determine if it is dinosaurian let alone raptor but my gut says likely not.

rapvertsd001.jpg

rapvertsd002.jpg

rapvertsd003.jpg

Next up is a Spinosaur caudal vert from Kem Kem. 2.5" long. Not much else to go on as far as information from seller.

spinovert.jpg

spinovert1.jpg

spinovert2.jpg

Next up is a Hell Creek vertabra listed as an Edmontosaurus vert. 4.25" x 2.25" x 2.75". No other information offered by the seller. By size along I would think it would be a dinosaur. I do not know what other Hell Creek critter it could have come from.

hadrosaurvert.jpg

hadrosaurvert1.jpg

hadrosaurvert2.jpg

Next up is a Lambeosaurus vert from Judith River. 1.8"x 1.3". I do not know if you can ID a hadrosaur to species level by a single vertebra but that is how it is listed. The best way to learn is to get information so any information is super helpful including suggestions on literature about dinosaur vertebrae. Thank you in advance for any help :)

jrhadrosaur vert.jpg

jrhadrosaurvert1.jpg

hadrosaurvert2.jpg

1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I need some ID help/education. I saw a few vertebra for sale and they are in my price range so I thought I would put them on the forum and gather some more informed opinions about these.

First up is a "Raptor" vertebra from Hell Creek. It is around .8" x.5" inches. I lack the skills to determine if it is dinosaurian let alone raptor but my gut says likely not.

rapvertsd002.jpg

This looks like a surface find of a Thescelosaurus

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.e930cb257a3f5a05d6daf5b2de90c950.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Next up is a Spinosaur caudal vert from Kem Kem. 2.5" long. Not much else to go on as far as information from seller.

spinovert.jpg

It could be.  The views are not the best to identify but has the profile.  One of the processes appears to have been added

• I found this Informative 1

Next up is a Hell Creek vertabra listed as an Edmontosaurus vert. 4.25" x 2.25" x 2.75". No other information offered by the seller. By size along I would think it would be a dinosaur. I do not know what other Hell Creek critter it could have come from.

hadrosaurvert.jpg

It's dinosaurian, again good chance its Edmontosaurus but I would like to see and end view straight in view

Next up is a Lambeosaurus vert from Judith River. 1.8"x 1.3". I do not know if you can ID a hadrosaur to species level by a single vertebra but that is how it is listed. The best way to learn is to get information so any information is super helpful including suggestions on literature about dinosaur vertebrae. Thank you in advance for any help :)

jrhadrosaur vert.jpg

Correct you cannot ID to a species just to a family.  Believe it's Hadrosaurid.  A bit beat up

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This looks like a surface find of a Thescelosaurus

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.e930cb257a3f5a05d6daf5b2de90c950.jpg

@Troodon that is very helpful. Yes that does look like a Thescelosaurus vert. Great information.

30 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It's dinosaurian, again good chance its Edmontosaurus but I would like to see and end view straight in view

I will check the website and see if those views are available.

Here are the other available pictures of the HC hadrosaur vert .

hadrosaurvert4.jpg

hadrosaurvert5.jpg

hadrosaurvert6.jpg

It does look like Hadrosaur caudal. Hard to tell how wide it was due to its fragmentary nature. But it doesn't look like it would be as wide as a Ceratopsian vert. So yeah I'd say probable Hadro vert.

I also agree with your assessment of that Kem Kem vert. It could be a Spinosaur caudal, but it's a composite as the parts on top have no place there. With just the centrum it's a bit harder to identify, but the general shape seems to fit with Spinosaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

It does look like Hadrosaur caudal. Hard to tell how wide it was due to its fragmentary nature. But it doesn't look like it would be as wide as a Ceratopsian vert. So yeah I'd say probable Hadro vert.

I also agree with your assessment of that Kem Kem vert. It could be a Spinosaur caudal, but it's a composite as the parts on top have no place there. With just the centrum it's a bit harder to identify, but the general shape seems to fit with Spinosaur.

Thank you very much for weighing in @LordTrilobite . I appreciate all the information I can get.

Here is another vert. The information from the seller: Ceratopsian, possibly Leptoceratops, vert. Hell Creek, Powder River Mt. 1.5" x 2" wide x 1.75". I looked around on the internet but I could not find much information on Leptoceratops vertebrae. I did find a great comparison on TFF between ceratopsian and hadrosaur Hell Creek thanks to @Troodon . This did look more Ceratopsian to me but I can not be sure at all.

Our program is pretty heavy on Ceratopsian material so it would be wise to add something more substantial than teeth and frill fragments so I better start learning to ID them. 

ceratopsianvert.jpg

ceratopsianvert1.jpg

ceratopsianvert2.jpg

Yeah that looks more like ceratopsian. Notice that it's wider than the tall Hadrosaur verts.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I think one of the processes has been added to the spinosauridae caudal vertbrae but the other just looks like a bad repair job, ifezouane formation possibly from erfoud or south west of taouz.