kemkem fossil dinosaur jaw?

Hunter0811

i got this fossil recently on a fossil fair and to me it kin da looks like a piece of jawbone. there are however no teeth or tooth sockets visible. personally i was thinking maybe sauropod or pterosaur. anyway here are some pictures. please let me know what you guys think!

IMG_7312.jpg

Yeah, it looks to be a jaw piece but I do not think it's from a pterosaur or sauropod. It looks more like what's labelled as crocodile jaws. There are quite a few crocodiles described + possibly some undescribed so I think croc is as far as you can ID this piece.

6 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Yeah, it might be a jaw piece but I do not think it's from a pterosaur or sauropod. It looks more like what's labelled as crocodile jaws. There are quite a few crocodiles described + possibly some undescribed so I think croc is as far as you can ID this piece.

yeah thats a possible, however this one doesnt show any form of tooth sockets which it probably would have if it was croc and the overal shape doesnt look croc like to me as well as the fact that there is a opening on the inside of the jaw. 

5 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Can you post photos of the dorsal side were the teeth should be located

yes i made some pictures but the files are too large but ill try to make new ones

Just now, Hunter0811 said:

yeah thats a possible, however this one doesnt show any form of tooth sockets which it probably would have if it was croc and the overal shape doesnt look croc like to me as well as the fact that there is a opening on the inside of the jaw. 

It doesn't show any tooth sockets because it's incomplete and looking at your pictures again it might not be a jaw at all. It might just be one of the many bone chunks that come out of this area. All jaws have tooth sockets, this one doesn't have any, is incomplete and looks more like a bone. Without anything that points towards it being a jaw it will be very hard to ID.

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

It doesn't show any tooth sockets because it's incomplete and looking at your pictures again it might not be a jaw at all. It might just be one of the many bone chunks that come out of this area. All jaws have tooth sockets, this one doesn't have any, is incomplete and looks more like a bone. Without anything that points towards it being a jaw it will be very hard to ID.

yes all jaws have tooth sockets, however some sauropods only have teeth on the front of the jaw (diplodocus for example). this definetly looks like jaw to me the inside has a opening and is very curved which as far as i know you dont see in a lot of bones.

Just now, ynot said:

Pictures from all sides and ends may help with an ID. (Think cube with a picture of each of the 6 sides.)

yes on it, some of the pictures i already took were too big but ill try to make new ones!

When you bought it at the fair I suggested the idea of Sauropod lower jaw. But I did say it's a bit of an out there idea. The reason I said Sauropod was mainly because that groove on the inside reminds me most of the meckellian fossa in lower jaws. But the lack of teeth suggests a jaw with either no teeth, or only teeth towards the front of the jaw. Some Sauropods like Diplodocids only have teeth in the front of their jaw. This is why I suggested it at the time.

I don't think it's Pterosaur though. The bone seems much too heavy for that. I also do not see croc, the surface is quite smooth.

I'm really not sure yet, but it's an interesting piece.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

When you bought it at the fair I suggested the idea of Sauropod lower jaw. But I did say it's a bit of an out there idea. The reason I said Sauropod was mainly because that groove on the inside reminds me most of the meckellian fossa in lower jaws. But the lack of teeth suggests a jaw with either no teeth, or only teeth towards the front of the jaw. Some Sauropods like Diplodocids only have teeth in the front of their jaw. This is why I suggested it at the time.

I don't think it's Pterosaur though. The bone seems much too heavy for that. I also do not see croc, the surface is quite smooth.

I'm really not sure yet, but it's an interesting piece.

Yes i know it was Just an Idea but it doesn't really look like a random piece of Bone to me, skull element maybe? The inside is quite hollow with some big blood vessels, so thats kinda weird i am hoping to take it to Het Oertijd Museum in Boxtel and be able to compare it to a diplodocus skull. 

Thank you all guys for your help and time!

10 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Or you can compare it with Dippy's skull right here:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/dippy-skull-f0372c208d174e83ab4b56512c6b2fd6

Thanks i feel like it has shares some resamblance to the back of the lower right jaw, it isnt a perfect match however and i feel like the 3d model isnt accurate enough to be sure. Are there any other known animals with no teeth in the back part of the jaw?

9 minutes ago, Hunter0811 said:

Thanks i feel like it has shares some resamblance to the back of the lower right jaw, it isnt a perfect match however and i feel like the 3d model isnt accurate enough to be sure. Are there any other known animals with no teeth in the back part of the jaw?

It's scanned with a laser, so it's 100% accurate pretty much.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite