Zdeněk Burian exhibition

rebu

Today I have visited an exhibition of amazing work from an artist Zdeněk Burian in the Zoo Dvůr Králové (Czech republic) and since his work was mentioned here a couple of times I have decided to post a few photos and share this great experience. Zoo D.K. has the biggest permanent exhibition of Burians work in the world with 147 original paintings in its collection. Why Zoo? In the seventies Burian was approached by founder of the Zoo and close friend Josef Vágner to help him put together an exhibition where people can see prehistoric life of our planet. This way the visitors of the Zoo will get to experience our wildlife in more than one way. Collection was planned to be bigger but in 1981 Burian sadly passed away and didn't get to finish what he started but still leaving us with an amazing collection of paintings concentrating only on prehistoric life. This exhibition is a great way to celebrate his love of paleontology and art. I apologise in advance if my English is not as it should be, I wasn't planning to write that much.... :)

Here is a few photos of his amazing work, painting I am starting with was his last ever finished work, painted shortly before his death in 1981. 

20190310_144420.jpg

20190310_143017.jpg

20190310_141313.jpg

20190310_141259.jpg

20190310_141241.jpg

20190310_141223.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Thank you for the report it was very interesting. I love the Terror Birds, shark, Dimetrodon and his last painting is beautiful indeed . I will definitely have to go one day. 

Cheers Bobby

• I found this Informative 1

On the last photo is one of the five Northern White Rhinos left in the world at the time of her death "Nabiré". Currently there are only 2 left and the species is officially declared extinct. She is standing in the room between all this paintings and made my visit quite emotional. I have worked on a couple of projects on saving Rhinos with the Zoo in the past and she became a very good friend of mine. There are many extinctions in the past that we can't explain but in this case we know exactly what or more like who caused it. Here are my last pics with her.

20190310_143257.jpg

20190310_143152.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you for the report it was very interesting. I love the Terror Birds, shark, Dimetrodon and his last painting is beautiful indeed . I will definitely have to go one day. 

Cheers Bobby

Thank you for your inspiration to go and take some pics :) It's a great exhibition and you with your love for art should definitely visit. It's great to see his original work.

Thanks for the report - there are some iconic images of prehistoric life in there. It would definitely be an inspirational place to visit and hopefully with the juxtaposition of recently extinct animals it is also a sobering and reflective experience for people.

• I found this Informative 2

25 minutes ago, rebu said:

Currently there are only 3 left and the species is officially declared extinct.

Sad to tell you there are only 2 left. Two females is al that's left of this subspecies. Sudan, the last male, died in march last year.

32 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Sad to tell you there are only 2 left. Two females is al that's left of this subspecies. Sudan, the last male, died in march last year.

Sorry about that, it was supposed to be 2. Yes Sudan died in Ol pejeta last year. Thanks for the correction.

1 hour ago, Andyl said:

recently extinct animals it is also a sobering and reflective experience for people.

I could think of the right words when reading  about the sad demise of the Northern  White Rhino but sobering is a the term I was looking for. Thank you.

The art is marvelous, many pictures that I recognize, truly classic. :)

And the Southern white rhino extinction is of course tragic beyond words, it actually hurt when i heard of Sudan's death last year. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for sharing both the paintings and the sad tale of the rhino.  Burian's work is classic.  And the rhino is tragic and emotional, even from way out here 5000 miles away.  

Such amazing paintings I had no idea works of art like this existed! 

The white rhino should hopefully serve as a lesson....I hope...Very sad

thanks for sharing 

6 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Such amazing paintings I had no idea works of art like this existed! 

The white rhino should hopefully serve as a lesson....I hope...Very sad

thanks for sharing 

Yes the paintings are beautiful, these photos don't do justice to them. Very difficult to take a descent photo in there because of all the windows. Size of some of the paintings is also impressive which is impossible to capture on the photo. Megalodon for example is 1,2m x 1m.

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Thank you for sharing this exhibit, Burian is such an iconic artist. 

My pleasure :) agree, he is an iconic artist and we are very proud of him

20190314_161515.jpg