Cretaceous Creek Stumper...

lordpiney

here's a few pics of a bone i found in ramenessin creek the last time i was there. it looks like a dorsal fin from a vertebrae to me, but im not sure. let me know what ya'll think please..

DSC02008.jpg

DSC02009.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

There are some textures and patterns that are rather...un-bonelike.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yeah, that's not like any bone i've ever seen. but it's very interesting. wonder what the heck it it...

Looks like a bivalve mold to me

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Looks like a bivalve mold to me

Yes i agree or a sudo fossil from the water running on it

Or maybe just maybe a gill plate from a large fish?

Edited by Tony Eaton

Can you see any bone structure on the sides like marrow? the one side looks like a Oyster impression with the curved whorls.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

now that ive had a chance to look at it better under magnification, it doesnt have any structure that id associate with bone. im gonna have to go with a shell impression on this too. thanks everyone!

The bryozoan impression makes it an interesting piece for NJ. I have only seen that once before, on an ammonite I found at Ramanessin as well.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

The bryozoan impression makes it an interesting piece for NJ. I have only seen that once before, on an ammonite I found at Ramanessin as well.

hey steve, how are you? i was wondering where ya been? you know...it does look like an ammo imprint to me. it's whorled, and has impressions that look like a scaphites shell. especially on the side without the bryzoans. it's weird. :D

Edited by Guest

Hey Phil, ive been good, didnt get enough collecting in this past summer, but i hope to get back into it. I heard you were at the DVPS meeting. I used to go to the meetings a lot but they are a bit of a drive for me so I usually only go if theres a speaker I really want to hear. We do get a lot of good speakers though! I'm going to try to go more often.

hey steve, how are you? i was wondering where ya been? you know...it does look like an ammo imprint to me. it's whorled, and has impressions that look like a scaphites shell. especially on the side without the bryzoans. it's weird. :D

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---