Running of the Bulls.

Darktooth

AMAZING finds, Dave - congrats!  I especially love those beautiful large shells :wub:

Last night the TSA in Orlando had a field day looking through my carry-on. Before we left the resort I bought 4, half gallon Tupperware containers. 2 of the containers I filled with Micro matrix. The rest i gave to a friend of mine to ship back to me. I put 1 container in my checked luggage, the other in my backpack. The other two containers I filled will the shells, which I wrapped in paper towels and bubble wrap. These also went into the backpack. All of the teeth and bones were in plastic bags, which also went into my backpack. Needless to say, at security  they pulled me and the backpack. TSA opened one of the containers with shells and unwrapped  every single one of them and was started to move onto the second container when another TSA  reliever him. This TSA asked what everything was and I explained and then showed her my fossil permit. She seemed satisfied with that and let me on my way. The people behind me were not happy.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

While Dave catches his breath and possibly adds a few more pics to this trip report, let me say that it was great fun to go out with Dave and repay him for being part of the group that hosted Tammy and me at the Deep Springs Road site. Florida is significantly different from hunting the Devonian in New York. For one thing there's a whole lot less chisels and swinging hammers.

I've been wanting to collect some fresh Cookiecutter Creek micro-matrix for a project I'm working on and like the rest of the waterways in South Florida, it's been tricky to find a time when the water level is low enough to provide access. Sadly, the Peace River is still significantly out of reach--much to the annoyance of the South Florida fossil hunters. I've even chatted with Mark Renz who takes paying guests out to fossil hunt during this season and he too is going stir crazy with these high waters.

I've been looking for unusual species of micro-chondrichthyans in the Cookiecutter Creek micro-matrix. I've just started picking through my most recent harvest but it is always a pleasure when you see such a perfect fragile little Isistius triangulus when it pops out of the micro-matrix of shell hash, sand, and phosphate gravel. I think I've found the smallest (modern) Tiger Shark tooth (Galeocerdo cuvier) tooth that I've ever seen--it's only a few millimeters wide. I'll see if the FLMNH has any interest in a specimen this size for their collection. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

P3100896.jpg    P3100890.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

6 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

99% sure it is not an opossum, at least not a modern one, dental formula is wrong (not enough molars).  Just went out a grabbed one of each to compare.  Could be a raccoon, looks more like that.

What age are those shells?

Really nice haul!!

I believe the shells are Eocene.

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

@Darktooth here are the examples of better preserved specimens.  I'm pretty sure they are one and the same.

Image Credit: Barry Sutton

https://lakeneosho.org/Fossil/index.html

Tilly_Bone.JPG.9e06e1996dabfc987c4831a1d8fb0fd0.JPG

Thanks Brett, they do look identical to what I have. I am curious as to that bump on the bottom as there are other tilly bones that don't have that feature.

11 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

99% sure it is not an opossum, at least not a modern one, dental formula is wrong (not enough molars).  Just went out a grabbed one of each to compare.  Could be a raccoon, looks more like that.

What age are those shells?

Really nice haul!!

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

This TSA asked what everything was and I explained and then showed her my fossil permit.

I've confounded more than my share of TSA folks--another good use for having a Florida Vertebrate Fossil Permit. ;)

I believe the shells are Eocene.

Nope. Quite a bit younger than this. The Eocene exposures are limited to areas further north in Florida. Southern Florida barely has decent Miocene exposures (occasional Miocene 3-toed horse teeth in the Peace River). These shells are from the Calosahatchee shelly layer which is Plio-Pleistocene:

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/sgmc-unit.php?unit=FLPOPSsu%3B0

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

6 minutes ago, digit said:

While Dave catches his breath and possibly adds a few more pics to this trip report, let me say that it was great fun to go out with Dave and repay him for being part of the group that hosted Tammy and me at the Deep Springs Road site. Florida is significantly different from hunting the Devonian in New York. For one thing there's a whole lot less chisels and swinging hammers.

I've been wanting to collect some fresh Cookiecutter Creek micro-matrix for a project I'm working on and like the rest of the waterways in South Florida, it's been tricky to find a time when the water level is low enough to provide access. Sadly, the Peace River is still significantly out of reach--much to the annoyance of the South Florida fossil hunters. I've even chatted with Mark Renz who takes paying guests out to fossil hunt during this season and he too is going stir crazy with these high waters.

I've been looking for unusual species of micro-chondrichthyans in the Cookiecutter Creek micro-matrix. I've just started picking through my most recent harvest but it is always a pleasure when you see such a perfect fragile little Isistius triangulus when it pops out of the micro-matrix of shell hash, sand, and phosphate gravel. I think I've found the smallest (modern) Tiger Shark tooth (Galeocerdo cuvier) tooth that I've ever seen--it's only a few millimeters wide. I'll see if the FLMNH has any interest in a specimen this size for their collection. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

P3100896.jpg    P3100890.jpg

That is one sweet perfect Cookie Cutter! I cant wait to pay through the rest of that matrix!

9 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

@Darktooth here are the examples of better preserved specimens.  I'm pretty sure they are one and the same.

Sweet! A perfect match (though the ones we find are pretty worn down). I've found several other Tillies in that creek so that makes perfect sense. I'll look through the link on the older discussion to see if they have an idea what part of the skeleton these are coming from. EDIT: Ah, neurocranium--I love learning new stuff!!!!

I've found so many of these at this locality that it is nice to have a definitive answer.

Cheers.

-Ken

2 minutes ago, digit said:

I've confounded more than my share of TSA folks--another good use for having a Florida Vertebrate Fossil Permit. ;)

Nope. Quite a bit younger than this. The Eocene exposures are limited to areas further north in Florida. Southern Florida barely has decent Miocene exposures (occasional Miocene 3-toed horse teeth in the Peace River). These shells are from the Calosahatchee shelly layer which is Plio-Pleistocene:

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/sgmc-unit.php?unit=FLPOPSsu%3B0

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for the info Ken! Are the teeth the same age as well?

19 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks Brett, they do look identical to what I have. I am curious as to that bump on the bottom as there are other tilly bones that don't have that feature.

Not sure ...  the paleontology site that they were pulled from identified them as a neurocranium .. so it is part of the skull.

https://lakeneosho.org/Fossil/index.html

"Hyperostosed neurocranium fossil from unknown bony fish
Common name: Tilly bone (Hyperostosic bone)"

One more document provided by @PaleoRon in the past. Page 174

"Page 174 of the text shows a similar structure."

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontribut...o/SCtP-0090.pdf

Cheers,

Brett

Here is a turtle spur

20190310_135126.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Here are some Tilly's without that hump.

20190310_134743.jpg

Are the teeth the same age as well?

We have not yet determined the precise age that is producing the black phosphatized shark teeth (an other fossils) but we suspect that they are likely Plio-Pleistocene as well. We did find one 3-toed horse tooth at the site so we know it does reach back into the Miocene but the bulk is likely more recent.

Eocene age shell material from Florida is known mostly from shell casts and steinkerns. Only the shells with a calcitic calcium carbonate composition (as opposed to aragonitic) survive intact from that time period--mostly oyster, scallop an echinoderm tests.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

On the way out of the site we encountered an endangered Gopher Tortoise. It was a great ending to a perfect day! @Tidgy's Dad

Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Gopherus polyphemus and a nice pretty one too! 

The fossils are terrific and i'm so glad you had such a great day and Ken and Tammy were so cool, but the tortoise would have made my day.:wub:

Thanks for the nod. 

Nice report with interesting contributions from others as well. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice finds Dave, glad Ken was able to get you into some huntable areas. That creek has been very good to me over the years. I agree your unknowns are tilly bones. Very abundant in there for sure, I think they’re from the jack family :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

11 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Nice finds Dave, glad Ken was able to get you into some huntable areas. That creek has been very good to me over the years. I agree your unknowns are tilly bones. Very abundant in there for sure, I think they’re from the jack family :fistbump:

Thanks Jeff! I really do appreciate  you giving Ken the OK, to access the site. 

Pufferfish mouthplates

20190310_135249.jpg

Cetacean periotic. It is a shame it broke but I can glue it back together as it was a single clean break.

20190310_134829.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Monica said:

AMAZING finds, Dave - congrats!  I especially love those beautiful large shells :wub:

Thank-you Monica